81 suzuki 40 running badly

alanmartin

Recruit
Hi. I finally got my boat finished andtook it for a dip in Sydney harbour. Started ok and revs up ok but it seems to backfire or what sounds like a fart and then it slows sometimes revs up again but mostly dies. Also if won't idle, just dies. I know this is a stupid question but the control levers, there is a large middle one with a red button to allow the lever to move and a small free<br />moving one. The large one changes gear and operates the throttle and the small one locks the large lever in neutral.I know it has to be in neuttral to start but where should the small lever be ?? Does it make any difference. There may also be smoke coming back thru the carbie just when it backfires , but i really don't want to think about that yet. What should idle rpm be ? When moving from forward to reverse it dies also, not handy when trying to stop<br />regards<br />Alan

alanmartin

Recruit
Re: 81 suzuki 40 running badly

Sorted it i think. Took off carbie , stripped and cleaned it. found a small paint fleck in pilot jet. But i think the main problem was the fuel pump. It was loose and there is a hole through to the crankcase which i guess uses the pressure to drive the diaphragm fuel pump so air would have been leaking into the crank. Thats my theory anyway. Also measured and checked the linkages and replaced fuel in case there was any water in it. Also found a washer in around the shift linkage which was making it difficult to get into reverse.<br />Now the engine idles happily at 800 rpm.
wink.gif
<br /><br />Regards<br />Alan

pjcruzr

Recruit
Re: 81 suzuki 40 running badly

I would like to start a thread, can anyone help me?
I have a 40 hp Suziki 4 stroke which runs good at low RPMS, at high RPMs it dies out as if it is running out of gas.