• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Yamaha trim & tilt

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha trim & tilt

I reckon this is a great site, I'm learning heaps.1st question is, can you remove the trim and tilt assembly from the Outboard whilst it is on the boat. The motor is a 1998 yamaha 70Hp owned by a friend of mine. It has only 58 hours on clock (recently purchased), the trim & tilt stopped the other day and later started working, today it stopped altogether. 2nd question is, I have the same motor also except it is a 1997 Model with 1600 hrs on clock (still runs great), my forward controls have corroded badly inside, is this common.Both motors are used in salt water.Any comments will be appreciated.

Re: Yamaha trim & tilt

Hey Terry, If the tilt/trim stops & starts working intermitently, it's probably not necessary to take it off. Does the pump make a sound when the switch is activated? I'm guessing not......check all electrical connections involved for corrosion, tightness, etc. Let us know what you find out. Good Luck! Backlash

Comment

Terry, I agree with Backlash. If the Tilt assembly isn't looking rotted and open then it is probably power to the tilt.As far as the Binnacle assembly, I have an '87 yamaha and I'm a saltwater boater. The 'guts' look fine with virtually no maintaince to it.If you cover your boat daily and in the winter, try not to cover it tight it will lock in condensation.

Comment

Thanks Backlash & Tony for your quick response.My friend Craig's Trim & Tilt is not working at all now, no sound when you press switch up or down. he took it to a marine guy who said power was going to motor, he thought maybe water had got inside (everything looks clean on the outside), anyway he said it could cost $600 to $700 to fix depending on results.craig is getting a second opinion.I purchased my boat from a professional Crabber who used it almost every day (makes me green with envy), if the corrosion inside the forward controls is unusual then He must have had salt water on it. I'm still curious though as to whether the trim & tilt can be removed whilst the motor is on the boat (my trim gradually settles down & may need my attention in the future). Thanks again.

Comment

The latest on craig's trim & tilt, I checked it today and it definitely has power to the motor. Then I tapped the motor whilst pressing switch and it started working but very weakly, then it stopped again and now there is nothing. Further tapping acheived nothing.I'd still like to know if the unit can be removed on the boat.Thanks, terry

Comment

Hey Terry, You can remove the unit from the engine while it is still on the boat. For access, raise the engine fully & flip the bracket down to hold the engine up. n Good Luck.Backlash

Comment

Thanks for your help Tony & Backlash.Craig ended up taking boat back to dealer who had regularly serviced motor. He replaced the tilt motor with a new one, (no charge, warranty apparently still applied). Mechanic thought maybe a magnet may have come loose but was'nt sure. he said these units are usually very reliable, but he has seen 2 others both relatively new with same problem. Thanks again, Terry

Comment

Working...
              X