Yamaha digital multifunction gauge

TD

Recruit
I am trying to get a Yamaha multifuction gauge (tach/oil/trim) to work with a 1987 90hp motor. When connected, the gauge reads full positive trim regardless of sensor position. The manual I have doesn't explain the operation of this sensor. It has 4 leads and I thought I would see a resistance change between the leads when changing position. I don't. Anyone know how to test this sensor?<br /><br />I'm not sure if I can get the oil level indicator to work. The oil tank has 3 leads coming from the sensor. These leads are not connected anywhere on the motor. Schematics I have seem to indicate that there should be an oil pump control unit on the motor. The gauge wiring would connect to this unit. I don't see anything on the motor that looks like this control unit. Anyone know if this motor should have this control unit and where it would be located?<br />Thanks for your help.

John from Madison CT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Yamaha digital multifunction gauge

TD,<br /><br /> I too have a problem with one of these gauges. I bought a motor with this gauge (1989 90hp) and while the trim part does work, the RPM's always read 0 and the oil indicator reads yellow (oil is full).<br /> I checked and re-checked all the connections and cannot find out why.<br /><br />John

araiha

Petty Officer 2nd Class

To test the trim indicator you need an ohm meter. Three wires used (pink, black, orange. Resistance for Pink to black should range from 360 - 450 ohms. Black to orange should range from 800-1200 ohms. The range is adjustable by loostening the screws that hold the sender in place. The sender has oversized holes so it can move. Adjust to be correct (1 bar showing on gauge) to be at the bottom.

TD

Recruit

Araiha, Thanks for the resistance values. I'll check them this weekend.<br /><br />John, maybe you can help me figure out the oil sensor wiring. The sensor in my tank has 3 leads, one black and two green, but they aren't connected to anything. Do your sensor leads connect to a control unit or directly to the gauge leads. Thanks for any help you can give me. My tach reads zero but I haven't started the motor to see if it spools up. The tach connection looked pretty straight forward. Did you check the switches behind the yellow plug on the back?

araiha

Petty Officer 2nd Class

TD,<br /><br />Send me an email at araiha@hotmail.com. Should be able to help you with this. Don't check this board very often.