Suzuki DT 65 overheat at high rpm.

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hi,<br />Any suggestion what to try next with my Suzuki DT 65 (65 hp) outboard that is running hot at high rpm?<br /><br />A. Some background info:<br />- The Suzuki DT 65 was made in 1991 and has been runnning about 150 hours since then.<br />- My outboard has only been used in fresh water (never salt water).<br />- Last year I had it in at a Suzuki marine service shop and I got a new impeller and some other things(for example new rubber gaskets in both ends of the pipe that goes from waterpump and up in engine).<br />- Last week it developed an overheat problem at high rpm only and the overheat alarm goes on. It can be repeated every time now when I run at higher rpm for maybe 5 minutes or so.<br />- There is plenty of water spraying out from water outlet and the smaller water outlet(that spray to the side).<br /><br />B. So, what I have tried so far:<br />1) Since the impeller is new I guess it can not be that (it was mounted by a Suzuki service center so it is probably mounted correct). I have almost not used the engine since the new impeller. (Gasket was new also by the way.)<br />2) I changed the thermostat to a new one some days ago. Made no diffrence. The thermostat is mounted as per instructions in manual (vent hole pointing towards the direction of spark plug).<br />3) Tried a new temp/waterflow sender. Made no diffrence.<br /><br />As an experiment I run the engine without engine cover to feel with my hand how hot the cylinder heads get and after the engine overheat alarm has sounded and I put my hand on it it is rather hot (not so I burn my hand since I can keep the hand on the cylinder head without needing to take the fingers away).<br /><br />4) I took out the theromstat completely(running without thermostat) and mounted the thermostatcover and then I notice this:<br />a) There is slightly more water spraying out from water outlet and the smaller water outlet(that spray to the side) is about the same as before.<br />b) Engine is running MUCH cooler and I can run the engine at full throttle (about 5400 rpm) as long as I want without any overheat problems/alarm.<br />c) Mounting back the new thermostat and running the engine at high rpm overheat the engine.<br /><br />As an experiment I took the old thermostat, that had no fault obviously, and drilled 3 small 3 mm (millimeter) holes through it just to see if that made no diffrence. Yes, the engine run much cooler and no problem with overheat at high rpm.<br /><br />I have Suzuki manuals (Selco and Clymer, thick ones...) and there are some suggestions for troubleshooting overheat problems.<br />But I'm not sure what to try next.<br /><br />I suspect some blockage (sand, mud or something) in cooling system somewhere but note sure how to clean it out.<br />- High water pressure - in reverse direction, how?<br />- Air pressure the blockage out -how?<br />- Or must the engine be taken apart ...?<br /><br />What is confusing is the fact there is plenty of water spraying out from water outlet and the smaller water outlet(that spray to the side) so there is obviously water circulating.<br />And the thermostat experiment - what conclusion can be made out of that?<br />I have checked the main water intake and no blockage there, same with the other intake behind and above the prop.<br /><br />Thanks for any assistance.<br />/Bo

Skinnywater

Commander
Re: Suzuki DT 65 overheat at high rpm.

Heat some water on the stove with the stat in it. See if it opens.

bossee

Hi,<br />Thanks for the suggestion. However I have tested both the old and the new thermostat and they both open. I have not measured the exact temp they open at but they open fine. And one of the thermostat is new, ordered from a Suzuki service center so it is maybe no so likely that is defect.<br /><br />/Bo

bossee

Hi,<br /><br />About the thermostat:<br /><br />I mounted the new according to the Suzuki manual and also the old thermostat was mounted the same way. But since my little experiment with drilling 3 small holes in old thermostat and that seeems to cure the overheat problem, maybe the thermostat can be mounted in many(wrong) ways. <br />Do someone know more about thermostat's and how they are correctly mounted?<br /><br />/Bo

Bear

Lieutenant Commander

I've read this several times. I not sure what to say. You gave so much info that I'm almost lost.<br /><br />1. Is it really a problem?<br />I think the overheating alarm is too sensitive. If you can put your hand on top of it without being burned you are ok. Use the old thermostat with the three holes in it.<br /><br />2. When did this start?<br />Did you know the previous owner and the story of the boat and engine? Is the kavitation plate level with the bottom of the boat?<br /><br />More flow with the thermostat out is normal. Less restriction.<br /><br />3. Your question is how to flush the cooling system. I don't know really. I wouldn'd do it with the impeller in place. I don't think there is anything blocking the water inside. Is there a water intake above the propeller that you can disassemlbe and inspect? Did you?<br /><br />4. Did you talk to anyone in the shop about this? They should be able to tell you temperatures for opening, how much and closing teperatures. Try both termostats in a saucepan (kastrull) on the stove at the same time. Hang them in a wire so they don't touch the bottom. Both of them can be faulty even if they are new. Maybe they got thermostats for Alaska?<br /><br />There is a good swedish forum:<br /> http://www.marinan.com/klotterplank/motor/ <br />The traffic is low for the moment, but you can give it a try. I'll see you there?<br /><br />That aint much help, just more questions! :confused:

bossee

>1. Is it really a problem?<br />>I think the overheating alarm is too sensitive.<br />>If you can put your hand on top of it without<br />>being burned you are ok.<br /><br />Hi,<br />It is a problem when using the new thermostat.<br />There is rather much diffrence in heat between<br />using the "new" thermostat (and then the overheat<br />alarm goes on) and when using my "modified"<br />thermostat with 3 holes in it (and no overheat <br />alarm goes on).<br />I can really feel the diffrence with my hand on <br />the cylinder head.<br /><br />>Use the old thermostat with the three holes in<br />>it.<br /><br />Yes, that is what I use for the moment without<br />any trouble so far. But I guess the engine temp<br />is not optimal then since the engine run maybe to<br />cool now? There are reasons a thermostat is there<br />and I do not know all consequences when running <br />an outboard this way. What I'm worried about is<br />if I have a blockage somewhere the engine may <br />overheat in that spot?<br /><br />>2. When did this start?<br />Last week.<br /><br />>Did you know the previous owner and the story of<br />>the boat and engine?<br /><br />The previous owner is an old man that just used<br />the boat and engine for some fishing in a lake<br />max 10 hours a year (since 1991). Boat and engine<br />has been inside a boathouse every winter.<br />I have used it 3 years without problem in the<br />lake Vänern. As I said late last year the<br />impeller etc was replaced with a new since I <br />thought it was time for a new.<br />The engine has run fine on this Hard Top<br />boat before for over 10 years. On max throttle<br />at 5400 rpm it reaches 30 knots.<br />And engine is almost like new if judged by <br />outside inspection.<br /><br />>Is the kavitation plate level with the bottom of<br />>the boat?<br /><br />Yes, it is. That is not the problem, I'm sure.<br /><br />>More flow with the thermostat out is normal.<br />>Less restriction.<br /><br />Yes, that I understand. What I do not understand<br />how my 3 small holes in the "old" thermostat <br />could make such a big diffrence. Anyway it works.<br /><br />>3. Your question is how to flush the cooling <br />>system. I don't know really. I wouldn'd do it <br />>with the impeller in place.<br /> <br />I will probably try later this season to take the<br />lower unit away so I can try to flush the cooling<br />channels in reverse from thermostat hole and see <br />if some dirt comes out.<br /><br />>I don't think there is anything blocking the<br />>water inside. <br />Maybe, maybe not. The water seems to circulate <br />fine if judged from the amount and pressure of <br />the water that comes out of the main water outlet<br />and the smaller water outlet (telltale-tube, skvalleröret).<br /><br />>Is there a water intake above the propeller that<br />>you can disassemlbe and inspect? Did you?<br />There are two water intake: one main intake on <br />both side of the fin and another above the prop.<br />Both has been inspected, found nothing.<br /><br />>4. Did you talk to anyone in the shop about<br />>this? They should be able to tell you <br />>temperatures for opening, how much and closing<br />>teperatures.<br /><br />I will try to phone them but they are _very_ busy.<br /><br />>Try both termostats in a saucepan (kastrull) on <br />>the stove at the same time. Hang them in a wire <br />>so they don't touch the bottom. <br /><br />OK, I will try that. I just used a heat gun and<br />blow hot air on them so I saw they opened.<br />I try the "kastrulltest" with water instead.<br /><br />>Both of them can be faulty even if they are new.<br /><br />I guess so, but probably not so likely.<br /><br />>Maybe they got thermostats for Alaska?<br /><br />I do not know if there are thermostats for my<br />outboard Suzuki DT 65 with diffrent heat range.<br />I have to ask the Suzuki service center.<br /><br />Thank You for the answers and questions!<br />/Bo

enn

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Test the new termostat in a a pot of water - heat it up and see at what temp it opens - check the same thing with the old one.<br /><br />Your new termostat is probaly faulty?<br /><br />Also check that it opens up wide and not just partly.<br /><br />(Nice lake väneren - just came back from 3 weeks at lake Sommen.)

bossee

Hi,<br />Just wanted to tell what the solution was to the problem:<br /><br />1) Waterflow sender was defect - replaced it with a new (it was replaced with a new, a year ago, but that brand new thing was defect I found out later!)<br />2) The outboard was also flushed inside the water cooling channels so no obstacle for sure.<br /><br />Nothing wrong with the thermostat.<br /><br />The engine can now be used at full throttle as long as wanted and it runs fine.<br /><br />I sold my boat with this Suzuki DT65 in June 2003 and have a new boat (2003) now with a new Yamaha F115 (2003) 4-stroke.<br /><br />Hope it helps someone else with similar problem I had with my Suzuki DT65 (1991).<br /><br />/Bo

fish4970

Petty Officer 2nd Class

fish4970 <br />Captain <br />Member # 20179 <br /><br /> posted June 24, 2003 02:40 PM <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />87' suzuki DT85 overheating & oil injection concerns<br />I have replaced the water pump = good<br />I have pulled & tested the thermostat = good<br />I have pulled the head looking for trash in the water jackets = clean as a whistle<br />I have a verry strong tattle tale<br />but still overheats above 3900 rpm<br />The other day i was just cruising at about 3500 rpm and the motor lost power & died<br />started right back up, but would die about evry <br />2 minuits the temp was ok, but I am worried about the oil injection. <br />It did not look like it has used very much oil<br />from out of the tank. <br />I had a jug of oil with me / mixed it and<br />motor stoped dying. <br />Is there any way to check or adjust the oil flow<br /><br />sorry about the lenght of the post<br />thanks in advance for any help<br /><br />Signed<br />verry confused <br />fish <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Posts: 37 | From: HOUSTON | Registered: Mar 2003 | IP: Logged <br /> <br />Fouled Plug <br />Captain <br />Member # 2451 <br /><br /> posted June 24, 2003 03:55 PM <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />You can make a mark on the oil tank, and compare the amount used to the amount of fuel burned to see if the ratio is about right. I would be concerned if your pre-mix made the symptoms disappear....sounds like you are flirting with disaster if you're not pumping oil. <br /><br />--------------------<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Posts: 747 | From: Alaska | Registered: Jun 2001 | IP: Logged <br /> <br />fish4970 <br />Captain <br />Member # 20179 <br /><br /> posted June 24, 2003 08:02 PM <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />WILL IT HURT TO RUN PREMIX & OIL INJECTION<br />WHAT COUL BE CAUSING THE OVERHEATING<br />THE CYLINDERS LOOK OK TO ME TOP & BOTTOM <br />LOOK BRAND NEW & MIDDLE HAS ONLT ONE VERY<br />MINOR SCRATCH COMPRESSION IS 150-150-155 <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Posts: 37 | From: HOUSTON | Registered: Mar 2003 | IP: Logged <br /> <br />fish4970 <br />Captain <br />Member # 20179 <br /><br /> posted June 24, 2003 09:23 PM <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />does anyone know the head bolt torque specs. <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Posts: 37 | From: HOUSTON | Registered: Mar 2003 | IP: Logged <br /> <br />fish4970 <br />Captain <br />Member # 20179 <br /><br /> posted June 24, 2003 09:24 PM <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />what is the proper plug & gap for this motor<br /><br />thanks <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Posts: 37 | From: HOUSTON | Registered: Mar 2003 | IP: Logged <br /> <br />fish4970 <br />Captain <br />Member # 20179 <br /><br /> posted July 10, 2003 10:14 PM <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />new twist<br />i got a pressure guage 0-30#<br />placed the muffs on and got 0#<br />pulled the guage fitting at the head<br />and it looks like air & water coming out of the hole at an idle<br />then just air<br />when i rev it a little i get just water<br />put the guage back in and get 3# at idle <br />bump it to 1800 rpm and get 10#<br />shut it down and scratch my head<br />start it back up and get 0# for 2 minuits<br />all this time i am getting a good idle pee stream<br />where is the air coming from<br />i just replaced the water pump and head gasket<br />trying to find out why it's overheating<br />i'me verry confused<br />jim if you catch this <br />i put the timing light on it just as i mentioned<br />to you and got 27 btdc <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Posts: 37 | From: HOUSTON | Registered: Mar 2003 | IP: Logged <br /> <br />fish4970 <br />Captain <br />Member # 20179 <br /><br /> posted July 11, 2003 08:50 AM <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />does anyone know what the water pressure shuld<br />be at idle & wot<br />what shuld the timing be set at