How to repair a cracked lower gearcase on 85 HP suzuki ooutboard

Blake01

Recruit
Hi.......I'm looking for some advice as to how best repair two cracks that have developed in my lower gear case of my 85 HP Suzuki outboard. They are probably due to salt deposits being trapped inside the housing but they are not allowing oil to escape (or water to enter)....If anyone has repaired a similar problem please advise how you did it.<br /><br />Thanks.....Blake01

Capt. Stabbin

Seaman Apprentice
Re: How to repair a cracked lower gearcase on 85 HP suzuki ooutboard

Blake, I had a similar problem with my 1988, 115 Yamaha 2-stroke. Mine had a crack forward of the prop, about 3-4 inches long (8-10 centimeters, mate?!!)caused by saltwater, and like yours, was not leaking. I decided to have it welded, but I killed two birds with one stone; I also needed to change my water pump/impeller, so I took it to a mechanic, and he sent the lower unit to a prop shop,then he replaced the pump. The Y-shaped weld has held fine so far (3 months-40 hours)total for everything was $340.00, $100.00 for the weld and lower repaint/ $240.00 for pump. Hope this helps.

Blake01

Recruit

Hi Capt Stabbin.........thanks for your suggestion for repairing of my motor. Mine has two cracks about 2" long running back from prop edge towards gearbox so it doesnt sound as bad as yours was. I'll try and locate a good welder and ask him if he can do it. Do you know if your repairer welded the cracks with the gears and seals still inside or did he remove them in case of heat damage???? anyway sounds like your fixed if its lasted 3 months. <br />Thanks from Blake01<br /><br /> y

Capt. Stabbin

Seaman Apprentice

Blake, Yes the gears were still in place. The cost to take them out and reinstall was nearly as much as a remanufactured lower unit complete! Just make sure you take it to someone who has experience doing this, as I've heard that if not done properly, it can melt seals etc. Check out something like " cracked lower unit" in a search on this board, there are several post and opinions on this subject, Good luck.

Blake01

Recruit

Capt.Stabbin...thanks for the tip re past questions by others.......I've checked them out ....105 at last count. What a great way to sort out a boating problem. I'll be taking mine to an "Ali Welder Expert" and will let you know how it all turns out.<br /><br />thanks again........Blake01