Suzuki 4 Stroke outboards opinions

PISTONESAL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,

Looking to get a new 75HP Mercury outboard but was presented with a 70HP Suzuki that will be $500 wth all new controls, prop and 6 year warranty. Please chime in and let me know what everyone thinks of a Suzuki vs a Mercury or other make ? Please advise. I appreciate it.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
$500 for a 70HP motor is not much.
if a good motor it maybe stolen and I hate thieves

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
even 5K is a very low price.
old rule of thumb was $100 per HP on 2 strokes new not to mention 4 strokes and that has been long ago

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
something isnt passing the smell test. a DF70A has a dealer invoice of $7500 with an MSRP about 9500

$5k would need to be a used motor or a hot motor.
$500 would be a hot motor

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
No comment regarding the price but just know that the warranty is not for six years. It is for three years only. There is the possibility of getting a three year service contract to go with (follows) the warranty but the contract is administered not by Suzuki but by a company named Cornerstone. They are known for not being as generous in accepting contract claims as are Mercury and Yamaha. Chances are that it will not be needed however.

PISTONESAL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello my apologies, when I was typing did not proof read before posting. What I meant was a new Suzuki with all new controls would cost $500 more than a new Mercury but just the engine and reusing all my current controls. Suzuki has a special going where they are adding 3 years warranty so 6 yo ears total. My thing is what do people anyone here think of Suzucki engine? Reliable, good? Trustworthy? Easy maintenance, parts cost vs a Mercury?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Motors are only as good as local support.

My bff likes his 2016 115 Suzuki.

PISTONESAL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
But any thoughts on the reliability, trustworthy and operation of the Suzuki. Any comments on 2 stroke vs a 4 stroke. I have heard so much about pros and cons on both..