Suzuki DT25C Carb Sync & Idle issue.

sg_apollo

Recruit
Hey all, I've got a 1993 DT25C. I've got the factory service manual coming as a christmas present, but I'm hoping y'all can give me some help before that arrives as it is duck season here in Arkansas.

I bought the outboard used. Fresh full rebuild. New rings, pistons, bearings, full machine work, etc. It has maybe 15 hours on it.

I'm having an issue with the idle. For these Mikuni carbs, when you screw out the idle mixture screw, does it lean out the mixture? I synced up the linkages so all three throttle plates are sitting closed together. They were slightly off and I thought that might be my issue. No change. My mixture screws are 4 turns out which seems a bit much to me, from what i've read online. It should be closer to 1.5-2 if what i'm reading is correct. If I screw them in, it starts to sneeze and cough. It idles smoothly around 850rpms in gear with them set at 4 turns. All of this was set with the motor warmed up in the water on the boat off the trailer.

Also, should the throttle plates be completely closed at idle? As in no gap at all? As of right now, they are opened slightly per adjusting with the idle speed screw on the middle carb.

She runs like a race horse. No lag or stumble. Gets up and goes. Plugs looked fine. Nice and brown. Piston color looks good too from what I can see through the spark plug hole in the head. She isnt leaking oil out the prop to suggest running overly rich after idling for awhile like my old johnson would.

It's worth mentioning the motor has some "work" done. Bored pistons. Shaved head. 30 carbs and linkage. Cut tuner. Drilled exhaust. I have a set of Boyesen reeds waiting to go in when I have time as well.

Any suggestions or insight?

Doh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I do believe that they are Air Screws, so yes turning them out Leans the mixture. (I kept making that mistake with my V4 Yamaha) The Diagram shows them as "Air Screw"

That being said, the Idle Jets, are over lapped by the Pilot Jets. If the Pilot Jets are plugged, the motor would ask for more fuel through the Pilot Jets. Or even the Rebuild might be requiring a Bigger Pilot Jet.

I would also watch the Main Jets, by the Spark Plugs (coffee brown/no cream). .30 over and Reeds, I would be thinking 2 sizes bigger will be needed.

https://www.brownspoint.com/store/pc/BP_AP_AssemblyDetail.asp?ID=6050

Last edited:

sg_apollo

Recruit
I do believe that they are Air Screws, so yes turning them out Leans the mixture. (I kept making that mistake with my V4 Yamaha) The Diagram shows them as "Air Screw"

That being said, the Idle Jets, are over lapped by the Pilot Jets. If the Pilot Jets are plugged, the motor would ask for more fuel through the Pilot Jets. Or even the Rebuild might be requiring a Bigger Pilot Jet.

I would also watch the Main Jets, by the Spark Plugs (coffee brown/no cream). .30 over and Reeds, I would be thinking 2 sizes bigger will be needed.

https://www.brownspoint.com/store/pc...il.asp?ID=6050

The pilot jets are the jets used for WOT operation, correct? I have basic understanding of how carburetors work but im definitely still learning. She runs WOT strong. Plugs are a nice brown color. I’m going to do a plug chop with new plugs to re-verify. He put 30 carbs on this 25 block. Not sure if the jetting was different but he told me the carbs would supply more fuel.

Last edited:

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
all of the mixture screws I have ever dealt with, counter clockwise(screw out) made the idle mix richer