Rupse vs yamah

I'm putting my 115 yamaha on a new boat. The motor has a side mount remote and I need a top mount control and separate key. There's quite a difference in price from the rupse and Yamaha parts. Do you get what you pay for or you just paying for the name. Thanks.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
interesting,
I wonder how many on here have even seen a Rupse controller much less used one

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
my guess....chinese knock-off

most likely getting what you pay for

Scott Danforth

Staff member
exactly.....just like those mini-bikes and scooters that are honda knock-offs for so much less...... my 40 year old honda mopeds still run like new.... the chinese one a co-worker bought for his kids died in 2 years and they can not get parts

Scott Danforth

Staff member
looked up the Rupse website and all the stuff they make. think of it as the harbor freight of stuff. they sell CD players, boat controls, LED lights for cars, motor cycle covers.... its basically a 3rd party company selling chinese knock-offs. your getting what you paid for.

on another note, per the rules, one topic thread is allowed. starting multiple threads is a no-no

jbcurt00

Staff member
Alaska, please dont start multiple topics in multiple sub-forums.

Deleted the duplicate

Moved it into this thread where it belongs - GA_B

Sorry about the double post, I'm new and thought my first one didn't post.
Anyway I was shopping on amazon and they have both brands the yamaha ignition switch looks exactly the same but is $100 more. The binnicle is $60 more.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
interesting,
I wonder how many on here have even seen a Rupse controller much less used one

I have never heard of one. I learn something new every day. Or at least I try to.

Wondering why the OP thinks a single 703 control box needs to be replaced by a dual engine 704 type top mount control box?

I ordered the Yamaha binnicle and the rupse ignition. the Yamaha ignition is $100 more so for $40 I'll take a chance and report back if I don't get stranded and die ;)