1984 Yamaha 200 ETLN Lower Unit Removal

Jprevat

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was recently gifted the engine in question and need some guidance. The lower unit has a crack, more than likely freeze damage, it was "repaired" but will need to be redone. I need to pull the lower unit and find out what the internals look like because it had hardly any oil in it when i pulled the plugs. It also isnt shifting freely from neutral to reverse or forward and when turning the prop shaft by hand with no prop i am getting resistance at a single point in the rotation.

This foot may be a mess but im hoping to save it. The topside of the engine looks really good and turns freely so if need be Ill find a replacement foot. There in lies my other issues, what years will work for transplant and what gear ratio do I have? I am going to go ahead and order a shop manual but Im hoping yall can point me in the right direction.

Thank you all for taking the time to read through my predicament.

tommarvin

Ensign
Good for you to get a factory service, you can learn everything in these things.
Is it carbs or injectors?
I would approach this like your winterizing your motor
remove prop,
drain gear lube, is there water in the first drop of gear lube?
remove lower unit, take to shop or garage.
remove water pump impeller, are all the vanes intact.
If it had hardly any oil when you pulled the plugs.
Theres a place that sells new lower units - SEI. iBoats sells them.

Mod edited for a more correct reply.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jprevat

Petty Officer 1st Class
It is an old carbed 200. It is actually a 200AETO that wasnt built for the US market, as I learned through a member on here. There was hardly any gear oil in the case and that has me a little worried about the state of the gears. I was looking at the lower units through SEI but I dont know what gear ratio I have.