Yamaha F350 Low Voltage Warning

jdl2580

Recruit
Can anyone help here please? I have twin F350's on my Robalo 305 and strangely the telltale water stopped exiting on both engines!! So obviously i sucked some mud and sand! Did not notice until my low voltage alarm went off-looked back there and realized something was wrong. Kind of was the first thing i noticed wrong. So i took out a long leader wire and un-clogged both. When the water started flowing it was super hot and thankfully went cold quick, and just like that the low voltage alarm stopped on the motor that was troubled. So i traced the water line from the telltale and found it goes to the voltage regulator. So it appears to be a water cooled unit.
So my question is, could this be true? That if the telltale is plugged, the regulator does not cool properly and can go off on safety? Then when cooled, comes back to life? I pray so-and it appears so, but would love some input from the Yamaha family-Please!!
Thanks all!
JL

jdl2580

Recruit
I was thinking the same but all is working like it should! And today we used the boat a few hours before the winds picked up here on the coast of NJ. Called my mechanic and he said it is plausible.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
It is absolutely true that the R/R in an F350 is water cooled. Absent water flow through the R/R it can be damaged. Beyond repair usually.

Looks like you might have dodged a bullet. If the R/R is now outputting its nominal 14.5 volts at cruise RPM that is.

jdl2580

Recruit
That is kind of what i have summarized. and yes, both motors are at 13.5 to 14.2 volts depending on rpm's. And Yamaha techs did my flywheels about twenty hours ago so i was suspect to maybe they did something in error. But would have shown error 0-18 hours. Thanks so much!