Fuel Line Question

gobirds82

Recruit
Just bought a carolina skiff cc with yamaha 60 four stroke. This winter I am looking over the setup and looking to understand the way everything has been put together from the previous owner and make appropriate changes.

The boat has a fuel filter, which I am not a huge fan of but alot of people have great things to say about it so I am willing to use it. The gas tank is in the center console. A fuel line, 5/8", runs to the fuel filter, from the fuel filter a 3/8" fuel line runs to the motor connector. Is it normal or a good idea to have the two different size fuel lines used together?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The larger the line, the less restriction.

No problem with different sizes before and after the water separating filter. Make sure the fuel line is proper for the application

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I assume your giving outside hose diameters.

Fuel lines are measured by the inside diameter of the hose. Most largerer hp motors use 3/8” fuels from tank to filter.

A 5/8” marine fuel line would measure 1 inch in diameter.

tommarvin

Ensign
An in line fuel water separator is a great thing.
These are large fuel lines for only one 60hp motor.
you need to have the correct size metal fuel hose barbed adapter ,5/8 hose needs a 5/8 barbed adapter with a stainless steel hose clamp,never zip ties.
3/8 hose needs a 3/8 metal barbed adaptor.
Oh ya, your fuel lines need to be USCG A1 fuel lines only.If there over eight years old replace them all.
You should replace the fuel water separator every year or you can dump it into a glass container and check for garbage and water,fill it up with fresh fuel.and spin it back on.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
An in line fuel water separator is a great thing.
These are large fuel lines for only one 60hp motor.
you need to have the correct size metal fuel hose barbed adapter ,5/8 hose needs a 5/8 barbed adapter with a stainless steel hose clamp,never zip ties.
3/8 hose needs a 3/8 metal barbed adaptor.
Oh ya, your fuel lines need to be USCG A1 fuel lines only.If there over eight years old replace them all.
You should replace the fuel water separator every year or you can dump it into a glass container and check for garbage and water,fill it up with fresh fuel.and spin it back on.

Here we go again with with you saying to dump contents of a separator/filter to check for crud and reuse the filter. Pouring the liquid out of the filter and reusing is a good way to to get the crud in the fuel system after the filter. The filter is thrown away and replaced.