Lean Sneeze at idle 95 Suzuki DT15C help!!

angler88

Cadet
I have a 1995 Suzuki DT15C. At idle I'm getting a lean sneeze. From research I am pretty sure that's the proper term for how it's acting. Could anyone help or advise me on where to start to fix this and/or how harmful is it to run the engine when this symptom has been occurring? Please help. Detailed help would be greatly appreciated. Can't seem to find any how to videos. Thanks guys.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
clean the carb (info in factory service manual)

robert graham

Admiral
Has the carburetor ever been removed, disassembled and cleaned?....could be a plugged jet in the carburetor.

angler88

Cadet
I am pretty sure it is not a carb issue. The motor had the issue when I bought it so I took apart the carb cleaned it and put it back on. Still sneezing. Then I ordered a brand new carb( at $250) and put that on and still have the sneeze. Any other ideas??

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
If you are having the same problem with a new carburetor I would check the air intake system down stream from the carburetor for an air leak. I would also inspect the reed valves.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I am pretty sure it is not a carb issue. The motor had the issue when I bought it so I took apart the carb cleaned it and put it back on. Still sneezing. Then I ordered a brand new carb( at $250) and put that on and still have the sneeze. Any other ideas??

That was an expensive lesson to learn to diagnose prior to purchasing anything.

does it stop sneezing if you squeeze the bulb? if so, you have a tank plumbing issue

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Is there a thermostat installed and is the motor warming up at idle, yes or no ?-----Is the throttle plate closed at idle.-----Lean sneeze can be caused by throttle opening too early.-----Have you adjusted idle mixture screw to see if problem goes away, yes or no ?

angler88

Cadet
I will try priming the ball while at idle and see if it improves/ solves the sneeze to rule out a tank plumbing issue. I have not messed with the idle mixture screw yet. That was going to be my next course of action. Before doing that I will check down stream from the carb for any air leaks. I am not sure if there's a thermostat. The motor warms up at idle but the sneezing starts nearly immediately. The sneeze goes away once the engine is under any kind of power. Thank you so much guys for all the suggestions and help. I'll be back with results.