1996 c40 yamaha rebuild

River Explorer

Seaman Apprentice
I looked for a motor to rebuild for a while and came across this motor. It looks nearly new and snagged it with controlls for $350. Its weird but wanted the experience of rebuilding one. I have all the resources needed.
Thought it was just needing rings but it has a bad piston and a nice score on the top cyl. Head has a few dimple marks but doesnt look bad. Obviously im going to have that worked out but should I resleve both cyl? Is it really worth the experience and rebuild this one? Parts would go quick off this one. I'll have $750 in it when I'm done

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
its up to you if the experience is worth it. I myself once thought of rebuilding an outboard because it needed it. however since with a bit of patience, I can get another used outboard for penny's on the dollar, it never made sense to do anything except swap power heads, etc.

my most recent outboard is a $100 Merc for the fishing boat. its replacing a $200 motor that has lasted for 25 years on the fishing boat

to me, rebuilding an outboard would never be worth it for cost itself. I started restoring two old mercs years ago, however that was because I wanted to. didnt make financial sense as I lost most of what I had invested when I sold them. I learned alot.... I learned that used outboards are cheaper to buy another one than to rebuild them.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
no need to resleeve, just have a good outboard machine shop bore the cylinders and put new pistons and rings in.
But need to make sure the crank and rods are all good along with all of the bearings and seals

River Explorer

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks Scott! I don't have plans to make anything on it. I may try and find another power head though.

River Explorer

Seaman Apprentice
no need to resleeve, just have a good outboard machine shop bore the cylinders and put new pistons and rings in.
But need to make sure the crank and rods are all good along with all of the bearings and seals

Thanks for saying that. With out compression it wouldn't bringing in fuel/oil. I know the guy ran it for a little like this. Probably a chance there's damage. I'm going to break it down just to do it still and check that too.