Yamaha 90HP 2 stroke intermittently losing power under load

BMXben

Recruit
Hey guys, I am new to this group so any input is greatly appreciated. I have been having this issue for about 2 years now. Its a bit of a lengthy description but this is what I've got. Motor will do great starting, idling, and running until pushed towards WOT then will drop RPMs over time momentatily then regain them until eventually "bogging" down completely and running full throttle gives me roughly 10MPH. Some trips out this issue will not present itself especially if I have my wife and son in the boat and I'm running a little slower. Making me think something is heating up and causing the issue. However, I had my father out flounder fishing and we were half throttle because of wind/waves and it eventually began. Its a 18ft tunnel hull so my RPMs are a little low for the motor at WOT getting me around 5000 if I'm really pushing it and trimming up. Normally once it starts acting up I'm around 4200 and it will drop to 3800 then pick back up within seconds then start again and again until eventually going down completely. At first I was thinking fuel so I cleaned all 3 carbs, changed spark plugs, and cleaned fuel filter Problem persisted. I also have primed the fuel ball when it is happening to try and eliminate the fuel pump and nothing got better. I then took it to a mechanic and he did compression checks, cleaned the carbs, and changed my fuel line and ball from tank to quick disconnect. Problem came back. Ran a external tank with different quick disconnect to eliminate my tank and lines and still persisted. So now I'm leaning towards anything else, changed thermostat and water pump (just because) then changed all power packs and ignition leads. still have the issue. I know my overheat sensor and low oil will put the motor in limp mode but with a alarm. Alarm works as I get that sometimes when running shallow or sucking mud up for for duck hunting. Any help is greatly appreciated I'm starting to run out of ideas.

Make sure you have good air flow through the cover. Try running without cover.. Also fuel delivery. As well as check carbs again. Don't be afraid to re check things that are marked off the list. Also when it happens check Spark. While your running. Also after motor is hot check compression.

tommarvin

Ensign
Your problem has been going on for two years.
If you would bet your life the fuel system is perfect,then
It's a wire, just a guess, anything this weird and long is usually a wire corroding almost all the way through in a wire connector.
Pull all wires that go into a wire connector very hard.And,
Then check every inch of wire for any bare/grounded out wires,put your reading glasses on and look hard to find it..

BMXben

Recruit
Thank you for the inputs. I will pull carbs apart again and run with cover off with a test light checking cylinders when I get it out again this week. I'll also take a real good look at wires the motor is a 2003 and I have already had several factory wires go bad causing starting issues.

BMXben

Recruit
This may sound stupid but will covering the air duct on the outboard scowling possibly cause this? The reason I ask is that I wrapped my top cowling in camp vinyl wrap but was to lazy to cut out where the hand hold at the rear of scowling is (I didn't realize that this was a air duct). However I wrapped this motor about 3 years ago and I would think the problem would be more persistent. I think I'm going to take the wrap off anyway and give it a run.

BMXben

Recruit
Update: problem fixed. After changing ignition coils, power packs, spark plugs, fuel lines, cleaning filter, compression checks, unrestricting air flow, all safety switches, wiring, carburators, and just about everything else pulling my hair out. I had tested the fuel pump while running and manually squeezing primer ball and that did not fix it. I also took the pump off and checked the weep hole which was fine as well. I replaced the pump anyway and replaced my fuel filter housing after cleaning the filter multiple times. Took it out ran wide open for hours with no problems. When before my problem started every trip at wot within the first couple minutes. I'm not sure whether the pump or filter assembly fixed it but I think my old clear filter housing had a small crack that was letting air in. Hopefully this can help someone in the future that might have a similar problem. Thanks guys!

robert graham

Admiral
Well, you have a nice collection of spare parts....and a finer understanding of the motor's running....