Adjust Clutch Suzuki DT40

Danny Fiberline

Recruit
Hello everybody,

I need some help. I changed my imepeller on my Suzuki DT40 1982. While taking off the lower untit, the longnut on the clutch connector came completely off (on both sides / upper and lower bar).
Now, I don't know how to adjust it correctly.
Can somebody please help me how to adjust it correctly?

Thank you.
Danny

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
I am going to describe how a Yam motor works. Should be the same/similar for the Suzuki.

The long nut is used to join the upper rod to the lower rod. The small nut is a jam nut that locks the long nut in place.

With a Yam the motor is normally placed into reverse, simply to gain better access to the jam nut and the coupling nut. The jam nut is barely loosened, just so that the long coupling nut can be unscrewed. It is turned so that it goes away from the jam nut. The long coupling nut is turned just to the point that the two rods are disconnected. The lower unit can then be removed.

The Suzuki parts book shows the long coupling nut as being below the jam nut. So, after the jam nut is loosened the coupling nut is turned downwards on the lower shift rod. If the nut is completely removed then install it on the lower rod and the jam nut on the upper rod.

While the lower unit is removed don't mess with the shift rod. It has to stay in reverse so that it correctly phases with the upper rod, which is in the reverse position.

Reinstall the lower unit. Turn the long coupling nut until it is just about to contact the jam nut. Hold the long coupling nut while the jam nut is tightened against the coupling nut. Now shift the motor back into neutral. Job done.

tommarvin

Ensign
I would get a factory service manual,
Your trying to reinstall the long nut connector on both sides, upper and lower bar.
I wouldnt move the shifter handle or anything, shift shaft.
If you can't get her back together theres always the dealer/Mechanic Marine