Yamaha 115ETLK oil light, derated power

Jgiajnorio

Cadet
I have a 1985 Yamaha 115ETLK and it was running fine last week when I put it away. It was trimmed up and stored for a week. I fired it up when we got back into town and now at an increased speed, it starts to pop and lose power. The red light comes on on the oil gauge but the oil tank is full.

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is the small tank under the cowl full or empty. you can pump it to fill it. there should be a small switch under the tank, the one under the cowl, which will activate the pump in the main reservoir if this small tank is empty

Jgiajnorio

Cadet
Small tank on the engine is full. I'm beginning to wonder if it's the oil sensor on this tank

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
The sensor is easy enough to test. Could be the sensor, could be wiring, could be a wiring connector or could be the oil control module.

You say that the red light is on. Are the yellow and green lights off?

ClassicAQ

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1985 Yamaha 115ETLK and it was running fine last week when I put it away. It was trimmed up and stored for a week. I fired it up when we got back into town and now at an increased speed, it starts to pop and lose power. The red light comes on on the oil gauge but the oil tank is full.

Red light will only activate when both main oil tank and reserve oil tank are below sufficient levels. So if your oil tank is full, yet you're getting the red light, sounds like you've got an electrical bug somewhere. Need to test the sensors.

As far as your description above in bold....neither "pop" or "lose power" are not associated with the red warning light for low level oil. Your engine does not activate limp mode (rpm <2000) when the red oil lamp is on, so this lose of power is not associated with the oil system. A "pop" when used to describe an engine sound is associated with fuel system, as in backfire, or lean sneeze, etc.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
The red light only illuminates when the main engine mounted oil tank is low on oil. The boat mounted tank being low results in the yellow lamp illuminating.

When the main tank gets low, in addition to the red light illuminating the warning buzzer should sound.

There are three types of caution and warning systems for model 115ETLK's. Two of the three will put the motor into RPM reduction mode in the event of low oil in the main tank. The other will not.

tommarvin

Ensign
It sounds like something broke,when you were gone of a week.
Do you have a way to test error codes if you have error codes.
It ran great last week with the fuel system, it sounds like it could be an electrical problem not an issue.
Better get a factory service manual, it's complicated.