Yamaha 50 4-stroke EFI High-pressure Fuel Pump

chesbayva

Recruit
I have a Yamaha 50 HP 4-stroke EFI outboard (I think it is a 2008). Ran great a year ago and now will not start. Had a guy look at it and he suspects the high-speed fuel pump is shot. Now I have tried for many months to get somebody back to look at it or finish the job, with no luck. I am wondering if I can fix it myself. The boat is on a lift and it is a major pain to tow it to a ramp.

Can anyone provide and tips on testing and changing this fuel pump? Searched other forums and YouTube videos, but did not find any help there.

Thanks for any help or leads,

Tom,

alldodge

Staff member
Not an OB guy but maybe this will bring others in. You should hear the pump run when you first turn the key to ON. If you don't hear it check the fuses. If it does run but there is no pressure, check to make sure the pump is getting fuel. Replacing the pump is only hard on the wallet, their expensive

tommarvin

Ensign
We have twin mercury 2002 115hp EFI four strokes, there is a Schrader valve at the top of the fuel injector rail , to hook up a pressure test gauge.
I think ours should be 34.5 psi.Yours should be close to this .
That Dangar guy on youtube explains it perfectly he has a great down under accent.
You should test the low pressure fuel,easy test does gas shoot out the outlet side, remove fuel line first.
You can fix anything yourself, get a factory service manual.