1988 Yamaha 150 ETLG one side not firing

Bajogabe

Recruit
OK im stumped, I have a 1988 Yamaha 150 ETLG 2 stroke that is not using the direct oil injection, it has all been disconnected. It seems to be only running on the 3 left cylinders if looking form behind the boat. When I put one of those automotive spark testers with the enclosed bulb it shows strong spark on the left 3 and EXTREMELY weak spark, almost non existent on the right 3 cylinders. Compression good and matching on all 6 cylinders, I have replaced the stator, all 6 coil packs, control box, fuel pumps and regulator/rectifier. I have checked all the resistance setting per the CDI troubleshooting chart on the coils, stator and trigger wires and all within specs. I have removed carbs, took apart and cleaned all possible holes and jets. Only thing I have not checked was the DVA output numbers since Im waiting on the dva adapter for my multimeter. Before I spend the money on a new power pack I want to know if there is anything else I can rule out. Can the power pack be faulty on just the right side cylinders? does this year and model outboard have a safe/limp mode that has activated? starts and idles good but once you try to throttle up it doesnt go at all ( last time it was in the water) Any and all ideas will be investigated lol. Thanks

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Measuring the voltages into and out of the CDI should lead you to where the problem is.
a DVA adapter with regular meter is needed if you do not have the proper voltmeter to take the readings.

some motors have different ways of controlling the spark, I have no idea if yours separate by banks

tommarvin

Ensign
I think you found it, the right side looking from behind the motor it weak to non existent spark.
I think a factory service manual would have helped you, our Mercury manual has all testing procedures for ignition parts.