oil on top of trim motor/resevoir 2000 200hp Saltwater series 2 stroke

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Just bought a Grady with 2000 200hp Saltwater series 2stroke.Noticed some very thick amber colored oil on top of the trim unit.Not dripping but there was some there.Thinking the previous owner was hiding a leak with some heavy weight oil as fluid.Did I get duped??? I have been an Evinrude guy my entire life and thin tranny fluid is what I have used on them.Charlie

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
could be he just sprayed it down with rust proof type of product.
that is the only amber colored thick stuff I can think of

robert graham

Admiral
Yep, could be some type of spray on oil/grease/protectant....I've always sprayed my entire tilt/trim unit/ motor/pump with white lithium grease....stays on there for years and no corrosion!....

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I WISH!! not a chance,Im not that lucky.The only place it is ,is exactly where you wouldnt want to see it.right where the lift piston rides in and out.The seal looks fine.Im still thinkin previous owner took a short cut and put some sae 50 oil in it so it would leak less.What are we putting in the Yamaha reservoir?? Dextron like in an Evinrude??Charlie

robert graham

Admiral
Dexron is recommended....the "seal" you see is just a wiper seal...there's an O-ring further down that does the real sealing. If it's just a small amount then maybe it's an acceptable/tolerable amount and just check/top off level occasionally....

ClassicAQ

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm with both 99yam and r. graham....the oil looking substance your seeing on top of trim/tilt has dripped onto this area, as opposed to coming from the tilt/trim. Take a look at the bottom cowling of your engine. If it's nice and clean, it only got that way by spraying with xyz cleaner. Tilting the engine up after this cleaning....drip drip

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Wow!! you guys are really optimistic and trusting.I am from LI NY and it would be waaaaay more common for an owner with a leaky trim to SAE it up to slow/hide a leak than any other scenario.Sorry to say but true.Charlie