Ignition coil keep going bad ( 3 in a week )

Maximebrien

Recruit
So here is my situation, I bought this Yamaha 8msh 2 stroke 2006 just before Irma. When I first installed it on my dinghy it was working like a charm. Then the next morning I started it and as I was going to the dock it just died on me. Tried to pull the starter a few dozen times. Nothing was happening. Then i thought it was the spark plugs so I went to Napa and bought two new ones. Still nothing ! So it end up being an fried ignition coil. So I ordered a new one, installed it and i started it first pull. As I had hard time with my iddle I took the carb out. Clean it and mess with it for a few hours. In that day I must have started the outboard at least 30 times . Then all the sudden I was trying to start it and nothing happened. So I look at the plugs and I wasn't getting any spark. An other ignition coil burned in less then 24 hours. Then I bought an other ones and again same thing, I got the engine started in the first pull. This one worked great for two days, and again it died on me while I was going to a friend boat next to me.

I'm kinda lost here, cause I don't know exactly what could cause that. Someone told me it could be a bad stator that send wrong voltage to the ignition coil. As I have the CDI in between them, could it be a bad CDI ?? How do you test if a CDI is good ? I don't have a flywheel puller so I wasn't able to have a close look at the stator yet and buying a new stator is about 450$.

So far I have been able to use the outboard for about 2 hours correctly and I am tired of spending money on parts that keep failing me over and over. So any idea or helped is welcome.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
test the inputs and out puts of the CDI to see what all is in spec and out of spec.
Need a special voltmeter to check peak voltages or a DVA adapter with a regular meter along with a service manual for specs and procedures.

There is a very good chance the coils were not going bad, something else is keeping voltage from reaching the coils