Oil/cooling Alarm : 2006 70 two stroke

Wfc3

Recruit
The oil/cooling alarm came on on my 70hp today and engine would go intermittently into safe mode and alarm would not cut off. Motor eventually came out of safe mode but alarm remained on back to marina. Trailered boat home over an hour and alarm would still turn on when key was turned with motor hooked up to hose. Motor has a strong stream, removed cowling while running and motor was not hot, oil reservoir level was good. I have had the alarm come on occasionally during the winter while duck hunting for a minute or so but once motor warmed up it turned off and wouldnt come back on. Any ideas as to what could be the issue or how to determine if its an oil issue or cooling issue. Thanks

ClassicAQ

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well, the most obvious answer to your question is having a yamaha tachometer gauge, which visually alerts you to one of the two alarms. But I recon since you don't know which alarm is activating, this means you do not have a yam tach. So you'll have to troubleshoot by process of elimination. I'd first start with determining IF both oil sensors and thermosensors are functioning correctly. Hopefully it's as easy as locating a bad ground, thereby this alarm issue you're experiencing would not be related to an oil or temp issue. Rather a electronics issue. Refer to your service manual for guidance for meter testing the sensors to determine if they are within spec.