Boat won't start without starting fluid

Gradywhite3535

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 2003 yamaha 130hp. For some reason the boat won't start without using starting fluid. Once I start it with it I can shut it off and start it without it. What can be causin this. I did mess with the carb pickup and idle timing. I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I actually dropped the choke lever that you pull in and out at the engine into the water by accident. If I had the choke lever would that be my problem?is there anyway I would be able to manually turn on choke to see if that's my problem? Thank youAny help would be yreat

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Hard starting when cold would be a typical problem if the choke isn't working.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
stop using ether on your outboard

mr 88

Commander
I would think the choke lever you lost attaches to the carb some way. Take the cowling off and look to see where it attached to and use whatever device to pull it into the choke position and see if that's your issue.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Fix the choke. It's on there for a reason. That being "cold starts". However, this 130 hp engine is electric start and as such probably has a push ti choke feature on the ignition switch as well as a warm up lever on the control box. I think you need someone with boat experiece to show you how to operate your engine. Are you running it with muffs or in the water?

Gradywhite3535

Chief Petty Officer
In the water....I know when you push in key it activates the choke. I was just asking to see if I could get some help on if it could be something else rather then just the choke. What is the warm up lever?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
it raises the idle by opening the throttle plates away from the idle stop.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
It allows you to rev the engine without having to engage FWD or REV. It is either built into the control box or it is the flat lever at the top of the control box.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
And why were you fiddling with the idle screws and stuff. Some things are best left to someone who knows what they are doing.