Suzuki DT85 1988 - Tach/Monitor

ferencg

Cadet
Hello, (So far) Happy new owner of a DT85 motor from 1988. It didn't come with a monitor/tach though, so I'm trying to get one installed. I ended up purchasing a Faria that specified Suzuki Monitor gauge, but I'm not quite able to find a reference whether that will work with this particular motor. What I do see is that the plugs are different - the plug coming out of the motor has a 6-prong outlet (5 of which have terminals, one is empty), but the Faria's connection is a 4-prong one. The tach has capability to set "6 pulse", and I understand that's what my motor is.
Are these tach/monitors supposed to be interchangeable throughout the years-decades, or should I have watched out and researched better? Or is it simply connecting the right cables together?
Thanks, Ferenc

mphelle8vld

Petty Officer 1st Class
The 6 prong plug (5 used) is for the Suzuki monitor gauge, buy this right after the Suzuki shop manual. The Suzuki tach connects to the remote controls with bullet connectors, can't speak about the Faria gauge. If you have an independent tachometer control unit (34250-87D11) in the electrical box, it's a 12 pole, if not, it's a 6 pole.

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer
You purchased a 4-stroke engine monitor gauge. If you had gone and talked to your local dealer instead of just using the internet you would have saved your money and found out that in 1988 that engine used an oil level indicator gauge, and it is discontinued. I suggest you look on eBay.

ferencg

Cadet
Thank you for the input all, I learn the hard way:). I'm heading to a dealership today though, as suggested by Lakensea.