Yamaha outboard 1992 Starting Problem

w.azpiri

Recruit
(Im writing in behalf of my father, please excuse any inaccurate wording)

I have a Yamaha 225TXRQ engine which connects to a 703 (10 pin) side mount remote control box. The engine seems to work fine when started directly from inside the engine (choke valve A and B). However it does not work when I push in and turn the ignition key. This only happens when the engine is cold.
When the engine is hot I am able to start it by pushing in and turning the key. I suspect the problem may be somewhere in the prime starter/choke wire?
Please help, I will be happy to provide any additional information needed.
Thank you.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
A hot engine does not need for the PrimeStart device to be activated to start the engine whereas a cold engine might/will. At 109* or higher the PrimeStart will no longer provide additional gasoline to the motor when the key is turned to the start position.

With your dad's particular model pushing the key is does nothing. Pushing the key in activates choke plates in those models that use them. Your dad's motor does not have a choke plate. When the motor is being cranked the brains of the motor will tell the PrimeStart if and when to provide some extra gasoline.

Sounds like the PrimeStart is the problem child. You are able to over ride it manually to do what it is supposed to be doing automatically. Once the motor has been started manually and heats up, then the PrimeStart is no longer needed since the motor will be warm.

I would inspect the PrimeStart device in accordance with the procedure that is specified in the applicable Yamaha service manual.