clogged carby?

vroom ZOOM

Petty Officer 1st Class
hello

I have a problem. My 89 yammie 50 idles great, when I put it just in gear, it starts dying and having a hard time.If I can get it to 2000rpm, it is difficult, and it runs roughly and begins to shake a bit. If i start to open the throttle more, it just dies down. it idles at ahrdly anything in gear, and not in gear at like 2500. if I can manage to coax it up to 3000 rpm, which is very difficult, thats when it smooths out and works beautifully and it wil easily rev to 6000 where it tops off. clogged carby? it has sat for a while, and it has three carbys, and it had always premium gas used in it.

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
I don't think you should be idling at 2500 in neutral. That's way too high. It could be a carb issue, like a clogged jet or stuck float. If your handy at all, take the 3 carbs off and clean them good. soak em, spray em, and run compressed air through all the small openings and holes. Make sure they go back on in the same order you took them off, and sync them up. Have you checked the timing on the motor? What do you mean when you say it sat for a while? Was it running good before it sat for a while? If so, it's most likely a gas/carb issue and a good cleaning should get you going again. Also, check and make sure you have good spark on all cylinders.

ClassicAQ

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I agree with all this ^^^^. If the engine sat for awhile, especially with fuel in the system, my first troubleshooting task would be to pull and clean carbs and jets. Not sure what you mean by "premium gas". 87 octane is the recommended fuel, 10% ethanol or non-ethanol, along with a fuel stabilizer.