Older F90TLR Whats next?

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I just picked up a used Yamaha 90 2008 that has been used hard on a 21' lobster boat in Maine all it's life and has 4200 hours. Can anyone give some advice on when this should be ready for a rebuild? I have it on my boat and it runs awesome just not sure how long this will last. I don't put more than 100 hours per year on that boat so I see it as a good retirement for the old girl.
Thanks,
Mike

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
It's well past it's normal service life, so it could self destruct tomorrow with no notice. Probably not worth rebuilding once it does either.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Most motors get to around 2000, then, most of the time through no fault of their own get killed by lack of maintenance. 4,200 is far beyond the typical motors life span, not that some don't make it that far, and there is always the unsupported claim of twice that, but 4,200 is up there.

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I'm glad I didn't pay top dollar for this motor. Gonna take care of it and run it.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
think about it.
If you ran you car/truck for 4200 hours at an average of 60MPH that is over 250K.
yes there are motors that wil get more, but most do not.
take care of it and make sure you keep the fuel clean along with the oil