2005 Yamaha 60hp won't tilt down

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade
First of all, why can't we search a particular forum?

My neighbor's motor was tilted up at the dock and now it won't go down although the pump runs. Others have recommended tapping the cylinder and it worked once before. Is this is a sign of air blockage?

ClassicAQ

Petty Officer 3rd Class
While the engine is tilted in the up position, check the level of the hydraulic fluid in the PTT reservoir. Make sure the fluid is leveled with the reservoir cap. You mentioned "although the pump runs". Are you referring to the PTT motor? Because I have no idea what pump you're speaking of that relates to the PTT unit.

On the port side engine bracket is a hole. Inside this hole is a screw. First, drop down the engine tilt lock tab. Then turn screw counterclockwise until stop. You will now be able to manually push engine up, drop tabs, and manually drop engine down. Turn screw back to original position.

Tapping the PTT cylinder is not indicated to unstick a stuck motor, despite it previously working. Refer to your neighbors service manual for testing the PTT motor function, as well as the steps for bleeding air from the PTT system. If this is the 2nd time the PTT unit has failed, expect the issue to continue until you locate the causing issue.

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The PTT motor or pump, as I refer to it is running but the engine doesn't lower. Is there an up and down solenoid or valve that can be tested? The fluid level hasn't been checked however based on the fact that it lifted the engine fully last time it seems to indicate sufficient fluid. I will check it to rule out that possibility.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I have read something about low fluid not letting a motor go down before, but I did not believe it.
my guess is the sound you hear has to be the T&T motor running, but that motor has to be coupled up to the pump for it to move fluid.
I do not see tapping on the cylinder doing anything except getting a stuck valve to move maybe.

I have heard of the brushes on motor to not make contact and tapping on the T&T motor gets the motor running sometimes, but this is not what you said