2001 OX66 225hp - Smoking

longdraw

Cadet
I was fishing a nite tourney Saturday and around 3am I noticed at start up my engine smoking much more than normal and smoking hard again when I came off pad before shutting down. At the same time, I began noticing a subtle chirping sound kind of like the squeal of a loose belt but more of a chirp. Boat ran fine though the rest of the night. After weigh in I pulled the cowling to inspect and couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. Any ideas I can take to the Yammy Service guys? Dirty O2 sensor has been suggested.
2001 225 ox66
Thank in advance for your time!

rjcamel2355

Petty Officer 1st Class
O2 sensor is likely the cause, LP pumps are also worth checking if you haven't done so already. Remove them from the block (2 bolts each) pump the bulb, if they leak replace them. The "chirp" you are experiencing.....I also have this, once the engine is warm, I have the same issue at idle /low rpms in gear. I've been told (and read a TON) that this is the driveshaft bushing, you can replace it (looks like fun), or spray some lube on it (won't last too long, or so I hear), or just drive it, as it won't hurt anything. It's more annoying than anything.

Let me know if you're told any different, as I would really like to fix it one day myself, also let us know what the yammy guys say about the O2 sensor, I cleaned mine, but I have a feeling it's on it's last leg as it started acting up and smoking again after one trip out.