no electric start

HillbillyJim

Recruit
9.9, 5 hours total on 2014 4 stroke electric start. 2 weeks ago started electrically and ran fine. yesterday will start with rope pull but no electric start. New battery with same result. Found two fuses which looked good.
Where do I look now?
I live in central Missouri and have a dealer within 40 miles. just dont want downtime waiting for service.
Thanks for thoughts

HillbillyJim

Recruit
The motor starts with pull rope. When I push starter button I get a very quite click. Nothing else.
What stumps me is after last start by starter button drove it up on trailer, ran gas out and killed the engine. No change to any system. Solenoid ?

robert graham

Admiral
Double check all your battery/starting electrical connections which tend to corrode in the marine environment. Remove each connection, inspect, clean shiny with a 3M Scotchbrite pad or similar, apply a film of grease and then tighten it back. Check your battery state of charge.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
bad battery, bad battery connections, or bad starter solenoid or starter

volt meter measurements while trying will help find the problem

Wvudave

Cadet
I have a 1981 mercury that is having the same problems no electric start or choke. Would a nss cause it not to choke?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
no it will not

need to do better on your posts, I never would have guessed the safety switch

Wvudave

Cadet
Ok not a problem sorry about highjacking your post hillbilly. I may have 2 separate problems then. My electric start and choke doesn't work not sure if my solenoid went bad

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
with the start or choke engaged?
need to load it some to make sure
if the battery voltage stays good then you need to check voltage at different places to see where it has good voltage and where it does not

Wvudave

Cadet
The fuse was actually blown it didn't appear blown but it didn't have continuity when I put a meter on it. Now I have choke and voltage at the solenoid but it just clicks so a new solenoid is on its way!