1998 150 Yamaha wont take water when on muffs

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
looking to buy this and when I ran it on muffs it wasnt taking water and buzzer went off.Put it in a landscapers pail with water and it pulled water.Changed the water pump and again didnt take water with muffs and buzzer went off.Never had this on any other motor.Owner claims his tech told him "Yamahas dont like to be run on muffs" Having a hard time believing this.Any truth to this?? Charlie

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Some of the larger motors need more water than the muffs can provide is what I read

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
I can relate to this. I have a 1987 175hp 2 stroke on my Cabo 216. For many years I used to flush the motor with ear muffs with no problems. I had to replace the lower end, I did the work myself and installed a new water pump and had the same experiance as you. Since it was my first time doing this type of repair I questioned my workmanship. After removing the lower end and taking the water pump apart several times I made a set of ear muffs with a hose connection on both sides to pump more water into the intake, made no differance. I took the lower end to a boat shop and showed the tech what I was doing. He said it's all good and that the motors need more water than the muffs can provide. I have no idea why they worked for years before I replaced the lower end so I put everything back together again and took the boat to the ramp. I backed her into the water fired her up and she pumped water and peed just fine.It's been at least 6 years now Now I flush my motor in a 96 gallon trash can at home.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Well ,when I didnt get any difinitive answers I called a few Yamaha outboard dealers and spoke to their parts/service personnel and they all confirmed word for word "Yamahas dont like muffs" .Seems they get air in the impeller housing when water does not go to both sides of the lower unit.They recommend running in a tank.

ClassicAQ

Petty Officer 3rd Class
How the engine runs on muffs, **** or no ****, means nothing. More importantly, does the engine run good under load?