1989 dt85 help needed

Thomashair66

Recruit
So first and foremost thank you all ahead of time. First time boat owner with a 92 proline 16' w - 89' dt85. I bought this thing without having water tested her, she starts up well, but put in water and she bogs down and dies when put in drive. I've checked compression 150,135,150, I've run through fuel lines, idle air screw mix is correct via manual etc. I have noticed many things taken off of engine like water cooling sensor,oil mix tank ( presumably converted properly ) mixing gas@ 50:1, I'm currently rebuilding carbs but 2 of three have been quite clean. I've looked through several hundred past posts looking for anything I'm missing but can't seem to find anything. Please help... I've replaced plus several times, she'll sit and idle and rev just fine outside of water but it's like she's allergic to water :(. I will be measuring out the shift linkages as well when installing rebuilt carbs just to ensure that is correct as well. What am I missing folks, any help or direction is greatly appreciated.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
missing parts could mean they had problems and were covering up(hiding) them.
no one in there right mind would remove what parts protect a motor.

I would not just hope they did the oil removal properly

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
The first thing to do is check for spark you may not be running on 3 cylinders. There is really no reason to take that oil injection system off. In those years Yamaha and Suzuki had the BEST oil injection systems on the market. You are going to need a factory service manual because I believe suzuki may have had a no oil flow sensor. Cylinder #2 is also a concern because you are right at the 10% difference.

Thomashair66

Recruit
I agree re missing parts, never a good thing 99
I will check manual re no oil flow sensor. Spark is good on all 3 . Rebuilt 3rd carb today, put her in a tub to create similar back pressure and she actually idled in gear, had to shut her down quicker than I wanted due to shooting all the water out of the tub. I'm not confident this solved the problem but will be able to put her in the water on Tues eve I think and find out then if that did the trick. I'm also going to use something to decarbon the rings to try to help that middle cylinder. Certainly concerns me since that ones on the verge. Thank you again , I'll check into that switch

Thomashair66

Recruit
So, to follow up. Engine runs better after carb job. I also did a decarbon on the engine. She'll purr like a kitten sitting , rev her up she screams like a banshee, idle her down she'll come to idle, put her in gear in the water and she dies.I'm at the point where unless someone can point me in the right direction I'll have to take it to .... the shop... :(