Question on idle/roughness on a 4 stroke 25 Hp yamaha

K Cox

Recruit
I have a tiller 25 hp yamaha 4 stroke I bought new in Jan, but never got into the water till april. Got maybe 6 hours on it. Not particularly pleased with the way it runs. MUCH rougher than any outboard I have ever owned. I kind of expected it to be a lot smoother. Shakes pretty good at idle.....and worse just off idle. Top speed and overall power seems fine. My question essentially is, is this normal? I have no other small yamahas here to compare to mine. Havent had much luck yet getting a yamaha dealer to have a look at it yet, and one dealer told me that if there was a carb problem that it wasn't covered by warranty. REALLY? Literally been a month trying to find a semi local dealer that will actually agree look at it. (Dealer I purchased from is 4.5 hours away.). Just trying to find out if I indeed have a problem, or its just the way it is. Any input from owners of smaller tiller Yamaha's appreciated. thanks in advance...

charleso

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It would be helpful to know a little more about your motor, as in year and model. I own a 2009 F60TLR. That is a 60 horse four stroke. You wouldn't even know it's running at idle if you didn't see water coming out of the pee hole. My first guess would be a fuel issue. Check your fuel filter on the motor. Also check your vapor separator tank(VST), there is a screen in there. If it gets past that point, it is in the injector screens. Before going that far, do a compression check, just to make sure it's not mechanical. And finally, check electrical connections, could be as simple as a plug wire not plugged in properly.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
As far as fuel problems not being covered under warranty, thay are saying if you have bad fuel in it or trash plugging things up warranty will not cover that.

If it is a bad pump or other mechanical part it should cover it

getting someone to work on a motor they did not sell ,is a problem most have to deal with, so they usually buy from the place close to them so they will service with no problem