Over-torqued head bolts!

gio

Cadet
Hi guys.
I think I have involuntarily over torqued the head bolts on my 1992 115 Yamaha after replacing the head gasket. It is supposed to be at 0.8 KGM but I probably went up to, maybe 1.0 or a little more....because I used an old and to big torque wrench for the job
I have run the boat a couple of times on the lake and seems to work great. It Idle and runs good and strong. What can the extra torque could do to the motor? Should I remove the heads and install new gaskets at the correct torque or just let it be as it is???

robert graham

Admiral
If it's running fine maybe best to leave it alone....probably a healthy margin of error in most torque specs anyway. And as long as all your bolts are torqued a bit on the high side then I doubt the motor will tell the difference....

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Unless you pulled the threads, either on the bolts or holes, happy boating. I don't see any issues if the threads held, and the fact that you have run it a few times, seems the threads held. JMHO

charleso

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I agree with the above. If you have stressed the threads in the block, you may do more damage removing the head bolts and trying to torque in new ones. Check your compression numbers, enjoy the boating, and just be prepared for possible issues if you ever have to go in again. I way overtorqued the head bolts on a small block V8 once and never had a moments trouble.