1994 DT25 - Water in oil Reservoir

TDIGUY

Cadet
I was give this motor from my dad last year and have not done much with it other than stare at it a bit in my garage.

Here is the story I have for it,
He bought it with a boat about 5-6 years ago
When he went to use it he got about 10-15 min of run time then it stalled out and died on him, would not start after that.

He had a local shop look at it and they pulled the head and cleaned it up and found out that some water had gotten into the oil reservoir while it was parked in the yard. Not sure what happened after that or what else they found but he brought the motor home like that.
It has been sitting in his garage for the past few years until it came to me, This is how I now have it.

I just ordered a head gasket to put on it so I can put it back together to check compression, From what I can see all 3 pistons come up to TDC and there is no scoring on any of the cylinder walls.
All the cylinders look essentially the same with no marks or damage on the tops of them.
The first pull I did felt like there was a hard spot but that could be from sitting for a few years, I don't feel the hard spot as much now.

Before I start putting it back together is there anything else I should look at/check/replace to save some time?
I would like to try and get it running to get the boat back on the water this summer. Is this motor worth putting the time and money into it if it needs more than just the gasket? or should I be keeping my eyes open for another motor.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
if there was water instead of oil getting to the crankshaft and bearings, it may not be good as those things rust up not to mention no lubracation while it was running

TDIGUY

Cadet
Ok. So head gasket was installed this morning. Checked compression and got 115 psi across all 3 cylinders.

Is there and easy way to check for rust on the internals without tearing the whole thing down?

Would it be worth doing a good carb cleaning and see what happens? Or should I be tearing it right down and replacing bearings ect. just in case.