suzuki df9.9a Hard start. No run

P2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I use this df9.9a I believe its a 2014. last year of the carb .as an aux or trolling motor. It never started or ran well. Shop I bought from stopped serviceing them right after I bought it. Found another and they said its bad gas. I am quite particular with my fuel. Always treated and filtered (20 micron). and my main and original honda 9.9 ran great. They said they needed to soak it and it will be fine. This engine was as "new". Done and picked up and they covered under warranty,Nice. But it still didn't work. Took it back and they replaced the carb. worked for one season of very little use. It is now stating to display the same symptoms. I have read that i may not be the only one having these problems.Is there a issue with the electric choke or carb on these? or do I need to be using a 10 micron filter?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
A 10 would not hurt, but I am sure that is not the problem.
It is not the trash that gets thru the filter, it is the fuel evaporating out of the fuel bowl of carb while not being used leaving a residue that ends up plugging things up.
these small 4 strokes do not use much fuel so the jets are very small and plug up easily

need to run the motor more often,
pump the carb full often to keep it from drying up and leaving residue, or drain it completely

P2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Good morning guys. Thanks for the response. Yeah my gut has been telling me this but after all these years of having outboards .yamaha , honda and merc's I havn't experienced one this easily gummed. Maybe this carb dries up easier than the previous ones? Anyways I will give it a soak this week change to a 10 micron filter just because but I would think the suzuki inline filter would catch anything finer than that?. I will post back when done. thanks again.

P2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
OK, soaked and back on. Runs fine now. I will have to stay on top of this. not easy to drain fuel every time it sits awhile and dont want to be doing this often.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
how often do you run the main motor?
Do you run the little one as often?
where do you store the boat?
can you hook up to water and run both motors from time to time easily?

P2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Run the main approx3 times aweek during a shoulder season here. every day for a few weeks in our summer. stored full with fuel stabilizer from october to march.9.9 doesnt run near as much. Maybe i shoiuld do it more often in the yard here.

P2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have soaked and reassembled this carb 2 times since last post. seems to run fine but if I dont run it a cpl times a week it goes to **** again.. Now I will restate that before this suzuki I have had several outboards both 4 stroke and 2 stroke. Last kicker was a 1998 honda 9.9. I rarely had any trouble at all with it. (fuel wise) I treat and filter my fuel. I only changed to a new one because I retired and wanted the comfort of knowing I had a good reliable aux motor.
This is far from the case now. I have not put many hrs on it this summer but still have a hard time believing the fuel evaporates that quick. My main runs fine as always and this one is giving me a headache. I didnt expect to have to drain my carb after every outing to avoid this as I never had to before. Sorry I know I am ranting but what can I do? Carb will come off again tomarrow.

P2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
OK, Gave it a soak and reassembled. It is purring like a kitten sorta speak. Whats your thoughts guys? This is not because of dirty fuel. I can believe the comment saying it is evaporating and leaving some gum but I shouldnt have to go through this so often. Do you think the pilot jet maybe to small ? its the #38. I see they they have an option for a #35? Would unhooking the fuel supply and run till stall help avoid this.Fuel line is shared by my main engine. Should I separate fuel and only run ethanol free fuel? Thanks to all for your comments.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
small 4 strokes have very small jets/passages now a days so a lot easier to plug.
running out of fuel does not remove all of the fuel in the bowl so it will still evaperate and leave residue.
drain the fuel out or run often to keep it from drying out.
seperate tank with none E may help, but it sill still dry out and leave residue

Have no idea what a shoulder season is