Tell it like it is, don't sugar coat it.

titaniumneck

Petty Officer 1st Class
I thought I posted something like this already. But can't find it.
Last couple weeks I've been asking about a 1985 DT115 SUZUKI outboard, with little feedback. Now I know why. I finally called a Outboard repair shop owned by a local legend, a Mr. Charlie Ward been in same spot for 40+ years. Yea, he's old, and his sons do the work. He flat out told me "why do you want to buy that, no one works on them, you can't buy the parts, it's not worth the change in my pocket, is that clear enough for you". Well that summed up my interest in the dt115 Suzuki.

CaptnKingfisher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well if you find one you like and can work on it yourself and you manage to keep yoour eyes peeled on craigslist and ebay to scoop up a second one for parts.. sure go for it. But having an oddball motor like that is a serious commitment! I can't even commit to dinner next weekend lol if your heart is into it and you've got the money and time to learn, go for it. I don't know anything about suzukis

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Obviously PARTS will always be an issue. The more available parts are for the typical Mercury's, Evinrude's and of course Johnson's, even though some of them are no longer built. Tons of parts are still available for them since a lot of parts carried on from one year to the next for long periods of time.

However, if you seriously like a particular engine and are willing to work on it yourself and search for parts when needed, go for it. But then absolutely buy the original factory shop manual for any engine you buy. That will allow you to see how everything works and goes together as well. No better purchase then a factory shop manual for any engine. JMHO

titaniumneck

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, disability lately is really kicking my butt, for last week and 1/2 my neck and back hurting so bad I forgot what the sun look like. So working on outboards over for me, and retirement check what it is, parts and labor for it a no go. I appreciate all you guys help, but honestly right now I am trying to get with neurosurgeon, and preying that my boating days are not over with. It would crush me, been in a boat since diapers 49 years, I can't imagine life without it. But my neck is already made of titanium, I hope it ends there( the surgerys)

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well, disability lately is really kicking my butt, for last week and 1/2 my neck and back hurting so bad I forgot what the sun look like. So working on outboards over for me, and retirement check what it is, parts and labor for it a no go. I appreciate all you guys help, but honestly right now I am trying to get with neurosurgeon, and preying that my boating days are not over with. It would crush me, been in a boat since diapers 49 years, I can't imagine life without it. But my neck is already made of titanium, I hope it ends there( the surgerys)

WOW tutaniumneck, you need to concentrate on getting well first. The boat project will be there after you are better. Time to recuperate and get YOU fixed now. I am sorry to help your pain. I also know what you are talking about as well. Prayers coming your way. :sorry:

titaniumneck

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Thank you very much gm280, I Really appreciate it.
The main reason I obsess about my little 15 ft sprint with 40hp tohatsu is that is all I have left. For the last two weeks the pain is worse than ever. Went to emergency room Monday and was no help because they referred me to a neurosurgeon that my insurance doesn't even cover. After getting with my gp, she got me an appointment for June 13th, earliest one I could get. I can barely walk around house, and cannot lift my head.
If it wasn't for the hope of getting on the water, I would be down to nothing. Cannot do hunting because of several reasons, gun recoil to cervical region, no off road riding, no atv, etc.
Being on the water, small water with no waves, just being on the water is a joy beyond explaining. I went 1 1/2 years before I got the ok for it.
Now, all my boys are graduated and moved out, my 14 year old hates the outdoors, and has no mechanical skills.
Broke leaf Spring on boat trailer, 40hp tohatsu acting up, luckily I have electric start, but no power tilt trim but that's no biggie, as long as I can get on plan, even 15mph better than nothing.
Hopefully I haven't hurt myself too bad where I can get back out there. But I have to find someone cheap to fix motor and leafspring, because I can't do it anymore.
3 years ago I went from very healthy, 22 years law enforcement, family of 4 kids and lovely wife. Do everything from chasing criminals, fixing cars, fixing house, fixing boats, everything I could do. On November 26th 2014 changed my life forever.
But I will be back, if not I might just have to give up. Sorry for the petty party.

Attachments

• photo266211.jpg
    photo266211.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
TN, lots of iboater have had similar situations and they all worked through it and came out the other side great. The only thing I would be concentrating on now would be getting YOU better. Then rehab until you feel better to do things again. We will help guide you when you are ready. But take care of yourself for now. That is the most important thing you can do. Even if you can't work on the boat presently, you still can communicate on these forums to talk to everybody and even help others with your ideas. We all help each other that way and it all works out. Stay positive and rest. JMHO