How to revive 200 hp 2 stroke from long sleep?

ron3421

Cadet
Hello Yamaha fans - I have a 2000 non-hpdi 200 hp 2 stroke stored on land on boat for about 6 yrs, running when stored, fuel not drained or run dry, not fogged. Primer bulb is stiff so ordered one.Turns free, hooray!
I know i should drain the engine mounted filter and new boat mounted filter but what else before i try to get it going again?
One question i had was - do i get rid of the old gas in the tank? And what else?
I noticed the fuel management gauge has a dark area in about half the display and i imagine there is no diy fix other than a newor used one?
Thanks guys!

Newbie@boats

Chief Petty Officer
Definitley drain that fuel.....6 years is a long time......

Change fuel filter, install fresh gas, but id imagine if the carbs sat for 6 years they'd be coming apart for a rebuild

rjcamel2355

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is it carbed or EFI? If it's carbed, you better pull them apart and rebuild them. Remove all fuel, that includes fuel in the tank, drain all filters and replace them. If it's EFI this includes the VST and the side mounted clear spin on filter. Inspect all hoses, if they are cracked, split, dry rotted, replace them (I would replace them just for piece of mind, that's a long time for gas to set in them). I would change the plugs after the first time I ran it, but that's just me. Other than that, shoot fresh fuel to it and let her rip.