Fuel Odor on Brand New Boat - HELP

jsonadam

Recruit
Hi - I am new to the forum. I have a issue that has recently come up where I have a pretty intense fuel odor coming from all compartments in my brand new 2017 Nauticstar 203 DC with a 150 Yamaha Outboard. See the info below - any ideas are appreciated.

I am bringing it to the Marina where I purchased it but they have already mentioned that this is fairly normal and it is not. 2 of my friends have the same boat without this issue and I have had this boat for about 5 months and until 2 weeks ago, I did not have this issue either.

I filled up my boat about 2 weeks ago. Brought it to the lake only to find that the ramps were closed due to flooding rains we had here earlier that week.

Stored the boat in my garage with the bow and cockpit covers on. I noticed a faint smell of gas every now and then in the garage but chalked it up to the boat being full.

Fast forward to last weekend (about 2 weeks since filling, storing, and covering). I uncovered the boat and found a heavy fuel smell. Inside each compartment it was fairly strong. I checked the bilge and there was no fuel there. I decided to take the boat to the lake, figuring that it would dissipate. While on the lake, it was almost nauseating, especially when going into any of the compartments (Ski locker, under seat storage). This actually had me nervous.

I brought the boat home and put it back in my garage, leaving the covers off and keeping all compartments open hoping the odor would go away. Not the case. After closing the garage doors, and waiting a few hours, the entire garage now has a gas odor. I opened the garage, and took the boat outside. I called a neighbor over who is also a boat owner. He could smell the gas odor down the street (it was a little windy).

Obviously this is not normal. I took off all access panels and felt all lines and did not feel any gas. The other issue that I noticed is that in the past, when I opened the gas cap, air always came rushing out. That is not happening now. I have a little more than a half tank of non ethanol gas currently in there. I am thinking this may be a gas venting issue - any thoughts on that?

The marina said they would look into it and pressurize the tank and check the venting system, but since they have tried to tell me this is normal, I am worried that they may not find anything and stick by their claim that this is normal. I want to arm myself with as much info as possible.

Again - thanks for any help on this issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Since it's under warranty, keep bringing it to the dealer. Contact the manufacturer if the dealer won't address the issue.....

New to the forum? You've been a member for 4 yrs.....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Your new boat has a problem that needs to be fixed or you will be making an insurance claim when it blows up. Or your family will be making the claim on your behalf.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
BTW - After 4 years, it's hard to claim Newbie status, even with no posts.

Please edit your cut & paste posts from other forums to remove any reference. Thanks.

tpenfield

Staff member
My thoughts, based on what you described . . .

The marina is being lazy.

If you were getting a rush of air (pressure) upon opening the fuel cap, that would indicate that the tank was not venting.

It sounds like you have owned this boat for a while, since you mentioned prior experience with the boat (air pressure) and now that has changed. If there are more details in that regard, please share them as it will help with responses.

During the time when the fuel cap built pressure, was there also a fuel smell as there is now?

Based on what you described, it may be that the fuel vent line/fitting was blocked and the build-up of pressure in the tank eventually caused the vent line to pop off at the tank fitting. This would cause some fuel to spill from the tank . . . very dangerous.

No more boating for you until this is fixed.

aspeck

Staff member
I had a similar issue with my Renkin DC the beginning of last summer. The gas smell was horrendous. I searched for leaks, changed fuel hoses, checked and changed the vent hose, etc., until I finally found the tank sending unit was loose on the tank. A couple of the screws had worked loose. Once these were tightened I was good to go and no problem at all. I would guess that something is loose, has come off, or is leaking somewhere below deck. If they pressurize the system they should see there is a problem. Finding it can be a different issue. Took me about 4 weeks of intermittent working on it to find the culprit. Never expected those screws to work loose!