92 Yamaha 70Q firing on wrong cylinder

nsmilligan

Recruit
My 92 70TLRQ suddenly loss power was working great, stopped to fish on start up engine appeared to be running a little rough, and couldn't get over 3000 rpm.
Did the usual pulled the carbs checked them, set the carb linkage, etc. When I checked the timing, I realized the light was flashing on about 7 ATDC on cyl 2!.
Put the pickup on cyl 2 it was showing the same spot. Changed to cyl 3 and the light flashed about 7 ATDC but cyl 3. Checked the crank sensor it's clean, and tests the right resistance according to the manual. Looks like it may be the CDI computer, anybody got another idea, or seen this before?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
My 92 70TLRQ suddenly loss power was working great, stopped to fish on start up engine appeared to be running a little rough, and couldn't get over 3000 rpm.
Did the usual pulled the carbs checked them, set the carb linkage, etc. When I checked the timing, I realized the light was flashing on about 7 ATDC on cyl 2!.
Put the pickup on cyl 2 it was showing the same spot. Changed to cyl 3 and the light flashed about 7 ATDC but cyl 3. Checked the crank sensor it's clean, and tests the right resistance according to the manual. Looks like it may be the CDI computer, anybody got another idea, or seen this before?

are you saying that #1 plug and #2 plug are both sparking at the same time?

how many pulser coils on that motor 2 or 3?
did you test them?

nsmilligan

Recruit
There's 1 pulser coil and a crank position sensor, haven't checked the pulser coil. The plugs aren't sparking at the same time, but the #1 plug appears to be sparking, when the #2 cyl is on compression. When I put the timing light pick up on the #1 spark plug wire it lights up the timing mark for the #2 cyl, the same as when it is on the # 2 spark plug wire. When it's on the #3 plug wire it lights up the #3 cyl timing mark

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
If both 1 and 2 indicate at the same place, I would think they are both sparking at the same time