question with performance yamaha F50 vs suzuki DF 50 please help me

kenairiver$$$

Recruit
I had a 2007 DF 50 pushed my boat great would travel about 30-34 mph downriver, i recently switched to a yamaha F50. lost a lot of top end i travel about 25 - 30 mph downriver. both situations i was by myself..now the big issue is when i have 4 people in my boat i am now having trouble getting on step where as with the suzuki i never had an issue. curious if i should go larger pitch or smaller pitch to push the load. or should i buy the T50 lower unit (high thrust). the gear ratio for the F50 is 1.85:1 the suzuki that i no longer have is 2.27:1 the T50 is 2.33:1. I think buying a prop would be easiest and most cost effective solution but im also looking to gain my top end that i lost. If anyone has any ideas or questions please help me out thank you​

charleso

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You may want to check the height the Yamaha is mounted at versus the Suzuki. I have an F60 on my boat. Have been researching options because it will not run over the low 5000 RPM range. I have determined that not only is the motor over propped, but also mounted too low on the transom.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I can't imagine buying a new lower unit would be cost effective at all, easier to sell the Yamaha and buy another Suzuki.

​There was a test comparison a while back on 50 hp outboards, and from what I remember the Yamaha was at the back of the pack in power and speed.

kenairiver$$$

Recruit
i couldn't tell you the exact rpms but at full throttle trying to get on plane with a load it be anywhere from 4700 to 5500 i could hear the motor wanting to go but it just wont push. and i just plow a huge wake.. ive been guiding for 8 years and fishing professionally for 15, and i could literally hear the motor hit its max rpm while i was trimming out to no avail. I also have a jack plate and i have adjusted the height of the motor up, and down. there is a sweet spot i find and it will eventually get me on plane after about 5 minutes of pushing water. this is only happening with a heavier load of ppl... say 4 guys over 200lbs..... the prop i have is an 11 5/8x11 on the yam, and the suzuki i had a 11 5/8 x 12. the Suzuki was a **** motor with a **** dealer in my area they never had time to help me i drive by their shop all the time im surprised they are still there looks like a ghost town..... they were overpriced and had no clue about anything thumbs up there asses. im so glad i switched to the yamaha they answer the phone and actually give input. but before i go in there i just wanted a little more help and knowledge before making a decision on what to do. the way i see it theres two choices find the right prop or go with the T lower unit. what do you guys think?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
You can't tell the RPMs by listening, you need a tach.

A new lower unit is probably more than a $1,000.00 , plus another prop, if you can't do the work then it's even more.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
what boat do you have this motor on?
what HP is it rated for?

seems the T motors are high trust and used on heavy boats/loads

kenairiver$$$

Recruit
my boat is most similair to a willie predator...its a 20 ft aluminum river sled with a slight V kenai river regulations allow only a 50 hp maximum. Its rated for a 110 hp. The T lower unit is 2700 and some change. i may just buy the 9 pitch prop see what happens its about 127 on amazon.... i know people can talk about propping for days. i might get a tach installed but those are 350$ and i looked at the wiring diagram and i will have it professionally done. the older tachs are easy but these new ones look like a nightmare..

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
You can buy a simple tach on eBay for about $11.00, the pricier ones are $30.00, it takes about 2 minutes to mount it. Or you can borrow a timing light from someone.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
my boat is most similair to a willie predator...its a 20 ft aluminum river sled with a slight V kenai river regulations allow only a 50 hp maximum. Its rated for a 110 hp. The T lower unit is 2700 and some change. i may just buy the 9 pitch prop see what happens its about 127 on amazon.... i know people can talk about propping for days. i might get a tach installed but those are 350$ and i looked at the wiring diagram and i will have it professionally done. the older tachs are easy but these new ones look like a nightmare..

yea, sounds like your way under the proper HP for the boat.

less prop pitch or size like you said would be the less costly,
the T motors turned a larger prop at less RPM to keep the motors RPM up in the higher torque range of the motor with the different gear ratio

probably should have bought the T 50

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Since the change from 35hp to 50hp on the Kenai happened several years ago, the locals should know exactly how to set up a Yamaha for your type of boat. There are hundreds of boats similar to yours on the river and a good number have Yamaha's (I've been on them), so they will know.