Oil Mixture Ratio for 1987 DT 9.9 hp

rdhj

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just bought a used 1987 dt 9.9 hp...is 100:1 the correct ratio as the previous owner's son told me.

tednv

Seaman
should be 50:1. how does it start/run? newer ones have oil mix pumps. you can get a mercury autoblend 2 unit on ebay, they will essentially do the same thing and you won't have to deal with mixing oil

Last edited:

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
some of the older 2 stroke motors came with stickers on them saying waht to mix it at. check under the cowling or other places on the motor.

a lot of the 100 to 1 motors went back to 50-1 just because letting the motors sit with out fogging them caused rust inside the motors from not enough oil during set up not during running

rdhj

Petty Officer 2nd Class
after i sent this , i saw the sticker on the side that says 100:1...should I stick with this or is there a reason to go to 50:1?

fhhuber

Lieutenant
They labeled some engines 100:1... and rapidly found out that they were replacing engines under warranty due to lack of oil.
So they sent out service notices to the owners of those engines to use 50:1

Use 50:1

rdhj

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok thanks...any chance you know the procedure for adjusting the throttle cables

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
should be 50:1. how does it start/run? newer ones have oil mix pumps. you can get a mercury autoblend 2 unit on ebay, they will essentially do the same thing and you won't have to deal with mixing oil

DO NOT EVER use an autoblend system from mercury they are garbage.

rdhj

Petty Officer 2nd Class
changed the mixture to 50:1.... got a lot of smoke and oil in the water and on side of lower...does that mean anything with regard to oil mixture

fhhuber

Lieutenant
2-strokes smoke a bit if they have enough oil

You usually don't notice it when the boat (motorcycle... whatever) is moving.

If you're leaving a fog bank of smoke all the time... that's too much oil or maybe a carb issue.

Note: if you use regular motor oil... it will smoke A LOT... and it will be depositing stuff in the combustion chamber which will eventually cause the engine to seize due to thickness of buildup. Use a good 2-stroke oil meant to be burned. (Penzoil low ash is my preferred.)