Starting yamaha 4 stroke outboard after winter storage

Photoboater

Recruit
Hi all, first timer on here so please bear with me, my question is how long do it take for the water to come out of the telltale on a yamaha 250 4 stroke outboard after sitting for the winter, last year started engine ran it for about 10 seconds didn't see any water shut it down as a safety step, was told to let it run for about 2 minutes until the engine filled up with water, did that and water came out used boat all season, no problem, today I start it run for 3 to 4 minutes, nothing happens, take it out of tank and apply muffs, same thing 2 to 3 minutes nothing happens, I keep hearing to let it run longer but am nervous, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

charleso

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sounds like it would be well advised to drop the lower and inspect the impeller. It may be losing flexibility and not moving water like it should.

robert graham

Admiral
Check your tell tale opening for wasp or spider nests causing obstructed water flow.....a section of heavy monofilament fishing line works good for this...

Khowcroft81

Recruit
I had a similar issue. Find something that will fit in the hole. I used to keep a few toothpicks in my glove box for that reason. Just push it in and out a few times while it's running and if there's a clog it should start gushing out. Also if it's something really jammed. You can use a very small sewing needle I bought one for this exact issue. It has a hook on the end and will pull the obstructions out. Doubles as a pic for baitcasters when you get a birds nest. If that doesn't do it, you most likely have a impeller problem. Good luck.

thatone123

Banned
Sometimes there is a lag, depending on some things as above. Some start water flow later than others. Salt deposits on salt water motors is common. I use a piece of bailing wire or similar to unclog the salt deposits or whatever. Your lag seems really long though, so it could be water pump. I recently saw a motor so clogged with salt that it completely clogged the thermostat closed for good.