Hpdi possessed (need help)!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPRZ150

Cadet
Hello guys greetings from Puerto Rico ; long time reader, just join (as I was always able to find solutions to prior problems before posting)...
2002, wellcraft 210 with z150hpdi same year (less than 400 hours) and external dual fuel filtration (racor ) system (s3227sul-2micron and s3213 -10micron) always maintained with ring free and stabilizer (both Yamaha brand) and always premium 91octane shell fuel.

My engine started acting weird this past week (been stored for the last 4 months) so, as usual I changed both external filters (also even the ones under the cowl, the vst strainer, the paper one on the little bowl and the metal one in top of the vst). I also change all plugs with new ones (BKR6EKU). I own the pirate version of the YDS currently I'm having a code 26 for the injectors. Tested everything (stationary test) all plugs and coils are working fine, and same the fuel pump and injectors (you can hear operation as normal when performing the test). Took out the injectors and "clean them" with some carb cleaner install them again still same problem... dumped ALL THE FUEL FROM THE TANK-55gallons fill it with fresh 91 shell premium gas.
Fuel pressure is within limits (I did 3 short logs , 2 on the water and one at home )

My actual symptoms :

-Engine will idle low (300-500) and its very difficult to start her up when it does it idle as mentioned
-under load the engine will not rev over 18-19k rpm (timing sticker at 7BTDC)
-my tps adjustment when the engine is off its at .64(opening degree is at 2.9) but when the engine is running sits at .62 with opening of the butterflies at 2.3 (the butterflies still have the yellow paint on the bolts , same as the tps)

Here for the possessed part:
I ran the engine in idle on the hose (its erratically idling , like in 2 cylinders )
I unplug everything from the right side of the engine, injectors and coils from pistons 1,3 and 5 the engine don't show any changes , plugs come out new like it never fired up) BUT if I tried to do the engine "cylinder drop test" with the yds (even with everything from that side disconnected ) the engine dies ... ☹️ It's surely running on cylinders 4 and 6 only while idling and when out in gear seem to get better but only the left bank of the engine (at the time runs in 3 cylinders only) the rh bank still no fire ...

Forgot to mentioned that the YDS shows fire in all cylinders while engine monitoring in gear and only the four that should be firing when in idle (shows 2 and 3 as "no" like it should ) ...

Also if I shoot some carb cleaner on those rh cylinder throttles seem to rev higher (with everything plugged I didn't tried that with the hardware disconnected)...

Does this leads to the pulse coils underneath the flywheel ?

Please help me im very tired of reading and troubleshooting for the last 3 days (trailing the boat in and out of the water with a 30min drive ) maybe I'm missing something that some hpdi guru might know?
I will like to mentioned that hpdi are veeeery rare down here and no tech near my area works with them (even though is a small island) some of them might try to "guess" and start diagnosing this like it was a regular 2 stroke engine or a F series Yamaha...

Again guys I'll appreciate any help you guys can give me...

Thanks,
"Lost JJ"

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
My thoughts are if spraying something into the intake brings up the RPM there is a fuel problem.
pull and send off the injectors for testing and cleaning
it might help if you posted pressure readings instead of saying they are good

JPRZ150

Cadet
For whatever reason I cannot post the pics of the data logs (jpg)

I will try to get the charts off the laptop which is isolated from the web sometime tonight...

Last edited:

JPRZ150

Cadet
My thoughts are if spraying something into the intake brings up the RPM there is a fuel problem.
pull and send off the injectors for testing and cleaning
it might help if you posted pressure readings instead of saying they are good

But this fuel restriction on that left bank will lock the timing (trigger the code 26)?

N1NE1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Don't forget about the mystery filters behind the injectors.(Basket filters).If they were never changed out before its always a possibility.

JPRZ150

Cadet
Hello guys...

The only tech that agreed to work with the boat finally gave me an update... (STILL have problems , not the same symptoms)
New story:

Originally I had not the right voltage on the right bank injectors (~55V) hence injectors were not "pulsing"... I found a Driver box (and an ECU) from a guy willing to lend it to try it out (now I have 95-98V @ injectors- which as I understand its the right range for operation)

New symptom now is that I only got spark on one cylinder (cylinder 1, right bank first on the top)...meaning no spark on 5 cylinders

Note1:All this is what the tech have told me on the phone, I haven't seen any of the swaps or anything done to the engine...

Note2: Tech told me that if he puts my original driver the engine will not even start anymore (with the original driver box I was getting spark on all cylinders - as I was told by the tech, the driver box only control injectors and nothing about ignition- SO, its a totally new symptom created from something else and not the driver box itself...)

Note3: Tech swapped ECU's and still the same (no fire on cylinders 2,3,4,5 or 6)

Any inputs?

JPRZ150

Cadet
Its been a month since the tech has my boat and no further updates... He explained to me that, the missing power on all cylinders except on number 1 happens after start...
I'll explain, he supposedly test for spark on all coils before starting the engine and everything shows fine, when the engine "starts" he then lose all cylinders except number 1...

Guys any help??? Please I need to resolve this situation...

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
from what I have read the HPDI motors have spark on all cylinders during cranking( starting), but drop one cylinder after start up in neutral below a certain RPM.
above that RPM it will drop more cylinders to keep the RPM down.
not sure which or how many.

how can he test spark before starting?

how is he testing this?

How is he testing for power to all ?

strange how before you had spark and injecting stuff into the throttle bodies made it pick up RPM, but now there is no spark

Look on the web for Rodbold17 and post on the site he helps on.
he is a Yamaha Master tech, maybe he can help you

JPRZ150

Cadet
from what I have read the HPDI motors have spark on all cylinders during cranking( starting), but drop one cylinder after start up in neutral below a certain RPM.
above that RPM it will drop more cylinders to keep the RPM down.
not sure which or how many.

how can he test spark before starting?

how is he testing this?

How is he testing for power to all ?

strange how before you had spark and injecting stuff into the throttle bodies made it pick up RPM, but now there is no spark

Look on the web for Rodbold17 and post on the site he helps on.
he is a Yamaha Master tech, maybe he can help you

hello,

My questions exactly... but I know you can test for spark on all cylinders with the YDS (which I have done before)... but he never really explained to me how.

Anyway, bottom line, he asked for the filters of the injectors because apparently after a TPS adjustment he got spark on all cylinders (I call MAJOR BS on that one, because before I have check the adjustment with the YDS and it was within specs and I even sent him those logs)...

so, I delivered the fuel filters because he said he was going to replace the mystery filters (all 8) but later he called me that he had to install the pump back without the filters because I have missed to deliver 2 filters (which clearly is BS because I count them before they were dropped at his place), later he told me that after replacing the injector filters the boat still idles bad and the injectors need to be serviced... I asked if the pump needs to go he said the pump pressure its within specs so it didn't need to go for service...

I told him I was going to do that myself because he had the boat for literally 2 months and I really can trust the guy anymore (to much of stories)...

Sooooo, I'm sending on Monday my injectors for remanufacturing to RXinjector in texas (any other recommendation???) to see if the servicing of the injectors fix the rough idle.

Cheers guys,
JJ

hugo0612

Recruit
hello,

My questions exactly... but I know you can test for spark on all cylinders with the YDS (which I have done before)... but he never really explained to me how.

Anyway, bottom line, he asked for the filters of the injectors because apparently after a TPS adjustment he got spark on all cylinders (I call MAJOR BS on that one, because before I have check the adjustment with the YDS and it was within specs and I even sent him those logs)...

so, I delivered the fuel filters because he said he was going to replace the mystery filters (all 8) but later he called me that he had to install the pump back without the filters because I have missed to deliver 2 filters (which clearly is BS because I count them before they were dropped at his place), later he told me that after replacing the injector filters the boat still idles bad and the injectors need to be serviced... I asked if the pump needs to go he said the pump pressure its within specs so it didn't need to go for service...

I told him I was going to do that myself because he had the boat for literally 2 months and I really can trust the guy anymore (to much of stories)...

Sooooo, I'm sending on Monday my injectors for remanufacturing to RXinjector in texas (any other recommendation???) to see if the servicing of the injectors fix the rough idle.

Cheers guys,
JJ
Hello JJ,
How did you fix the problem with HPDI engine?
I am working on my 200 HPDI.

Status
Not open for further replies.