1998 Vmax water psi question

hunting-1

Cadet
[FONT=&quot]I have a Yamaha question. I have a 98 vmax 150 and was running down lake and blown a fuse for power to motor.motor shut down.replace fuse All ok with fuse now .When fire up and took off again at W.O.T. ,check gauges and seen I was running at 24/25 psi of water.in the past motor was only running at 15/17 psi.what could have caused this to happen,and what do I need to be watching for/at to ensure no damage will happen to motor. Had found sand in popet value week earlier so I did flush out water system and removed thermo,s but water tested it after. with no problems until this past Saturday when fuse blown. Thanks for any info[/FONT]

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
stats should be in the motor to force the water to circulate properly, and to make sure the motor stays at the proper temp to properly burn the fuel. put them or new ones back in

I have no idea what would cause water pressure to rise except the spring loaded PRV to be stuck closed.
the spring is what controlled the release of pressure

hunting-1

Cadet
yes I removed them ,cleaned and checked them then after flushing water system I reinstalled them then water tested on lake ,psi was not high until blown fuse shut down motor.unsure of reason of high psi now.,but I will recheck poppet value spring again.thanks

rjcamel2355

Petty Officer 1st Class
Poppit valve, I have to clean mine almost every month (the new mushroom style will eliminate that necessity from what I have been told) I do a lot of fishing in sandy/silt areas, and everytime I pull the poppit to clean it, there's a few small pebbles/sand particles... clean it off and it goes back to holding 15PSI @WOT full trim, with it dirty it runs 25-30PSI WOT.

Just what usually happens to me..... I'd say they should put a screen in there somewhere.... but we all know how things like to get stopped up... then the real problems begin.