Yamaha LU gears misaligned with controls

noamplatt

Recruit
2010 Yamaha f115

​Dropped the LU and took to the shop for new seals. Got new seals, picked up the unit, and went to reinstall. The lower wouldn't go in all the way, would stay about 1 inch form sitting flush when LU in neutral and control in neutral.

​When I shift the controls to Reverse, the Lower Unit fits snug, but the lower unit is still in neutral. Then when the controls are put into neutral it shifts the unit into Forward.

​I have a feeling the shop messed something up, am I correct in blaming them? When I dropped the lower (which I did myself) the controls AND the lower were both in neutral.

​I am planning on taking it back to the shop (with the boat) on Monday, just wanted to see what yall thought.

Thanks!

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
shift shaft will only keep lower unit from going all the way up, if you did not line up the shafts properly as you installed the lower unit.
these newer motors use a twisting motion not the up and down like the old motors

Drop the lower again, make sure controls and lower unit are in neutral and pay attention to aligning the SS as it goes together along with the water tube

Make sure the water tube did not mess up the rubber it goes up into while you have it out

noamplatt

Recruit
the shafts were aligned properly. I understand the twisting motion - I could see it when I shifted with the lower unit off of the motor. With everything in neutral, the shift shaft will not slide into place. When I place the boat in REVERSE and the LU in NEUTRAL it will fit - but then the LU is neutral and the controls think it is in REVERSE.

​Do you think that in the process of the shop changing my seals - they could have installed the shift-shaft in the incorrect position?

​Once again, everything is aligned, and I COULD get it to fit with the boat in REVERSE and the LU in neutral

noamplatt

Recruit
[FONT=&quot]Wanted to post an update ? I took the unit and the boat to the shop on Monday and they took a look at it. Turns out they had installed the shift shaft 180 degrees backwards into the lower unit. They fixed it with no additional charge. FYI[/FONT]

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
good to hear it is fixed.
and thanks for coming back to update the thread
I would not of thought that installing the sift shaft wrong was possible

robert graham

Admiral
It's great they found it and fixed it.....and you didn't somehow bugger up the thing trying to get it back together...like some folks might have tried some brute force/bigger hammer!