Help me identify wires coming out of 1998/99 Suzuki D70

Scottg1017

Cadet
Hello all! Let me preface this post by stating that I am not at all familiar with boat motors so if you reply, please keep it at a Kindergarten level. I have two wires that come from the bottom half of my motor and one of them was corroded so I took out the screw cleaned everything up and when I was putting it back in, it broke off. I'm not sure what it's function is, so I'm a little nervous about going to the river now. Any help would be much appreciated. I attempted to attach a picture with no success. Boat doesn't have a speedometer, only a tachometer which still works. Motor runs in both directions and my trim switch on throttle still works. The one on side of motor hasn't worked since I've owned the boat.

Last edited:

Scottg1017

Cadet
I'm sorry I wasn't clear. The wire end is fine. The screw broke off in the hole when I was putting the wire back on. I guess salt water plus 17/18 years doesn't mix well with screws.

wrench 3

Commander
You need to have three posts under your belt before you can post a picture. So talk to us one more time and then you should be able to post a picture after that.
In the mean time does the screw look like its screwed into a casting or is it some sort of electrical device.

Scottg1017

Cadet
Thanks for the three post comment. I'm not boat savvy but definitely am computer savvy so I felt stumped. There are two wires that come out from inside the motor housing. One is attached very close to where it comes out of the motor and the one that I broke the screw off was mounted on the left side (if looking from the back of the boat. The screw went into a threaded hole and held the wire in place. I will try and post picture now. Thanks again!

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
That is a bonding wire.
purpose is to make sure the parts of lower unit are bonded together so they can be protected with the sacrificial anodes

Scottg1017

Cadet
99yam40,

Kindergarten level please. What happens if I don't reconnect it? Are there two bonding wires? It looks like both wires come from same harness but I can't tell for sure.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
the lower unit is attached to the rest of the motor with bushings and other things that allow the parts to move to turn or tilt. the bonding wires are there to make them electrically bonded together(at the same potential) at all times, so that the anodes can be eaten away before the motor parts by corrosion.

If you keep the boat and motor in the water most of the time it would be a good idea to repair that connection. if on a trailer most of the time, then I do not think it would be as important to repair

Scottg1017

Cadet
Awesome! Thanks for dumbing it down for me. I keep it on trailer so I will get it looked at soon. Thanks a million!!!

wrench 3

Commander
When you get around to repairing it, find someone with a MIG welder and get them to weld a nut onto the broken screw so that you can unscrew it like a bolt.