1999 Yamaha 130 HP 2 stroke stuck in forward

cj7ole

Seaman
My fourth year with this boat. Each year it has been getting more difficult to change gears. After sitting 3 months, it is now stuck in forward so I can't even get it in neutral to see if it starts so I can launch. Disconnected the cable at the motor and the shift lever now moves effortlessly. Lower unit issue? Not looking to tear it apart, but if I can't find someone to fix it quickly I might have to. I am in FL for just 2 months. Suggestions? Videos? Likely cost?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
you need to hook the controls back up and drop the lower unit ,see if the controls are still binding.
that should give you an idea where the problem is

cj7ole

Seaman
He was convinced it wasn't in the lower unit. He greased the zerk fitting on the bushing where the shift rod goes through the bottom of the motor housing and worked the shift link until it was freed up enough to work as it did last year, still stiff but usable. I was hoping he would pull the lower unit, but glad it only cost me $50 instead of $500.

robert graham

Admiral
Any and all zerk fittings on the motor should be greased at least twice yearly.....do you have a grease gun?.....they're easy to use and will save you a lot of problems and money later....$50 would buy you a real nice grease gun!