Submerged Yamaha Find! Repairable?

henryst

Cadet
Where I live, we are always getting boats that come across the bay in storms and crash into our shore. A few days ago, I went down and managed to take a Yamaha 40hp outboard off a small, salvaged boat. I am having trouble telling the exact age, but I will post pictures.

The motor was submerged in salt water fully on and off as the tides would come in and go out for about a week. I know this is very bad for a motor, but I am willing to do as much work as I need to get it going again! I am a high school senior and I love working on stuff like this, so time is not the issue!

I am wondering if the motor is salvageable without spending more money than it is worth? And if so, what are the steps I should take to get it going again? I read that I should disassemble the carburetor to clean it, spray WD-40 in the spark plug openings while manually turning the motor, and clean the fuel lines... is that all good advice?

Please take a look at the pictures and let me know what you think! I am just learning and appreciate all advice!!

Thanks,
Henry

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 7.18.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 7.18.35 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 7.19.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 7.19.13 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 7.19.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 7.19.00 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 7.19.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 7.19.07 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 7.20.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 7.20.40 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
You will need a complete new electrical system, and most likely just about every bearing in the motor, the carbs are the least of your worries. If it had just been dunked once it "may" have been fixable, sitting on the beach for a week or so being repeatedly submerged will have most likely done it in.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
its worth $0.30 in scrap aluminum. more if you strip it to clean aluminum

robert graham

Admiral
Very little there that's worth anything but you could disassemble the motor just for the fun of it and to learn something about this motor. If it had been submerged in fresh water then maybe, but salt water is just terrible for motors.....good luck!

henryst

Cadet
Sounds like I might be in bad shape! I'll take it apart anyways just to have a look. What is it exactly that the salt does to the motor besides killing the electronics? And are all the electronics absolutely vital for starting the motor (ie. could you get it going manually without the electric starter)? I know it's likely a lost cause at this point, but more just curious!

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
rust inside the motor and out can be a problem.
bearing surfaces on crank, piston rings/cylinders,wrist pins,etc.
spark is generated with the help of electronics.

all you can do is take apart and look and test things

AGENT 37

Petty Officer 1st Class
To have the best chance of success for that kind of equipment, it should be left submerged until ready for a salvage. Being exposed to atmosphere between tides accelerates oxidation on metal surfaces and causes the most damage.

I saved a 1998 Honda BF90 after 70 hours of saltwater immersion by taking it directly into multiple cycles of fresh water rinsing and soaking of removed components in fresh water followed by rinsing in an isopropyl alcohol and water mixture then blow drying, filling and flushing with kerosene, then flushing with gasoline, oil, and compressed air. It was a long and involved process but in the end the only thing that eventually needed replaced was the starter motor and that was about a year later.

I am currently running a 30HP four stroke that was sank a couple years ago. I didn't know this when I bought it and wound up having to replace a lot of electrical components, the wiring harness, and completely overhaul the fuel system to get it running correctly.

Most electronics on modern day marine engines are potted and sealed to protect against water intrusion and have a pretty good survival rate, but even so, they will all eventually succumb over time.

I'd say the one you have is trashed by looking at the pictures and would not be worth the money or effort needed to possibly get it running again.

Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
This will sound nasty, it is good for one of two things. Scrap metal or boat anchor. As mentioned sea water will do a number on the all the bearing surfaces on the crank. And destroy the electronics. If the gearcase seals were good, maybe the lower unit has some salvage value