2006 f60 YAMAHA 4 STROKE WON'T REV OVER 3,000 WIDE OPEN?

crimar30

Recruit
It was running fine, then suddenly started vibrating & running very rough, so I shut it down and went home, I changed the water separator thinking that may be the problem, but no. The next day I took it back out after replacing the water separator filter, now it idles ok, but won't rev up over 3,000 rpm. Now I'm thinking I read somewhere that if it overheats, it won't go over 3,000 rpm, could this be it? Anyone know if my engine has an overheating alarm.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Yes your motor has an overheat alarm, whether it works or not is a different subject.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
A bad water pump won't limit the RPM's, overheating can.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
overheat does not happen at start up. has to run awhile to overheat.

I think the RPM reduction on over heat on Yamahas was around 2K not 3K
so I would be looking for other reasons for the motor problems

robert graham

Admiral
Remove each spark plug and inspect carefully for any indications....like carbon or fouled plug...good place to start your troubleshooting...

crimar30

Recruit
Replaced the plugs this morning, ordered new water pump impeller. When I ran it today, I noticed the thermostat cover got hot VERY fast, is this normal? Never paid any attention to it before. Ordered a new one while I'm ordering, anyway.

robert graham

Admiral
If this motor has carbs have they ever been cleaned? If it's injected have the injector screens ever been cleaned or replaced? Sounds like you're just losing power on one cylinder.

crimar30

Recruit
It's fuel injected, I'll have to look up injector screen. Thanks. Is that an easy thing to do?

robert graham

Admiral
Each injector has a small screen that can get plugged with debris...then you lose power on that cylinder. My motor has carbs but if I ever get one with injection I'll figure out a good preventive maintenance for injector removal/ inspection/ cleaning/ whatever to eliminate these issues. I just drain each carb float chamber at lay-up time to eliminate plugged jets. A plugged injector or carb jet can be more than an inconvenience on the water....it can lean out a cylinder and do real damage$$$$

Sylva-Ranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Some Yamaha 60 have a water detector sensor at the botom of the fuel filter bowl, and if youy have 2 wires that comming from that bowl, it can have a protection.

​You can try jumping thoses wires and make a test ton confirm operation.