Yamaha 2006 T8ELH will not reverse.

warren631

Cadet
Motor won't turn prop in reverse. When I select Forward I can't turn the prop manually either way, when I select Neutral I can turn the prop either way, when I select Reverse then at first I can't turn the prop one direction but I can turn the prop in the other direction then I can turn the prop in both directions and there is a clicking sound. I think I must have selected Reverse while the motor was running too fast and stripped gears or reverse clutch or whatever. Is there no safety to prevent changing gears. Is it worth having fixed?

charleso

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Knowing the cost of small outboard motors now, it is definitely worth rebuilding. My guess is a stripped out gear. First thing I would do would be to drain the lower unit and inspect for any metal fragments or filings.

warren631

Cadet
I drained the lower unit but got no fragments or filings of any kind - just very black oil. What next?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
inspect all linkages to make sure they are moving properly and then need to open the lower unit up and see what is going on
I would not think it is too bad

CatTwentyTwo

Chief Petty Officer
I have an 05 T8 and had a problem with the shift linkage one time. A bolt had come loose allowing the shift cable housing to move which prevented full movement from the cable itself. Grab the shift cable housing right where it goes into the motor and try and move it in and out, it shouldn't move.

I had some nice pictures to show what I'm talking about but the site won't let me post them.
Good luck.

warren631

Cadet
CatTwentyTwo: That is exactly what I found. I finally got a socket in the confined space and tightened up the bolt. But I still don't get reverse. I tried tightening with shifter lever fully Forward and fully Reverse but still no Reverse. There are a lot of levers and probably adjustments in there but I can't get to them in the tight space.

CatTwentyTwo

Chief Petty Officer
Aw rats, it's never easy is it. I don't know now, maybe drop the lower unit and pull and push the shift rod up and down to see if the problem is in the lower unit or farther up in the linkage somewhere.

warren631

Cadet
Where can I buy a Bearing housing puller for the lower unit? I have tried all the online parts places. Is there a standard puller that will do the job? I think the Yamaha part numbers are
Bearing housing puller claw........90890-06564
Stopper guide plate......................90890-06501
Center bolt.....................................90890-06504

warren631

Cadet
Couldn't find a suitable bearing puller so I pulled out the lower unit bearing housing using a wood chisel in the crack and hammer. I found the pin in the dog clutch had sheared into three pieces. That was the bang I heard when I shifted into reverse when the motor was going too fast. Bought another pin ($5.00) and re-installed. Now its working great! Thanks to great YouTube videos from Dangar Marine!

Last edited:

CatTwentyTwo

Chief Petty Officer
Great news, glad you were able to get it fixed and thanks for letting us know what the problem turned out to be.